Suggest a Feature

Share your requests for new features, channels, etc. with the Roku team! Search keywords and add a kudo to an existing topic to show your support, or create a new topic if your suggestion isn't listed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Smokindog
Level 8

Return to Home Screen on Power Button

I've recently begun using ROKU with streaming services.  Given the ROKU Ultra (4660RW and I presume others) don't actually power down when you press the power button it continues to stream, eating bandwidth.  It would really be nice to have a feature option to terminate apps and return to HOME upon a power button request from the remote.

If there is already a way to do this, please help me out because I couldn't find it!  In fact I've got another thread open to completely disable CEC because the ROKU turns my Yamaha RX-A1020 back ON 70 seconds after turning off the TV/RCRV Smiley Happy
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

Just pressing the Home button before powering down will always close any channel and stop playback. I made that my habit way back when I got my first Roku. 

Someone else has proposed a sleep timer, which would stop any playback after a set time, and I think that would make sense. They can't implement what you propose across the board because before this year no Roku remote has a power button except for the Roku TVs. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Smokindog
Level 8

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

"atc98092" wrote:
Just pressing the Home button before powering down will always close any channel and stop playback. I made that my habit way back when I got my first Roku. 

Someone else has proposed a sleep timer, which would stop any playback after a set time, and I think that would make sense. They can't implement what you propose across the board because before this year no Roku remote has a power button except for the Roku TVs. 

That's why it needs to be added as an option button.  Home button habits don't work if you fall asleep watching TV Smiley Wink  Also, when my TV is turned off, I expect everything associated with it to terminate (ala CEC).  This request has too many merits to dismiss IMO.

  1. Prevents excessive use of bandwidth

  2. Makes is more consistent with devices that actually DO power off

  3. Dovetails with implementation of sleep timer (another obvious need IMO)

  4. Makes operation more consistent with CEC intent/operation

  5. Makes the device behave like most others

  6. I don't have previous versions of ROKU (I have 4660 and 3800) but if as you say they just added the power button this feature should not impact other ROKU devices as they don't have the power feature........
PS - I always chuckle when someone says some software feature "can't be done" Smiley Happy  Not a slam at you, just a general observation.  
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

Oh, I'm not dismissing your idea. With CEC it is certainly doable if you're using that functionality. I know if I turn my TV off it will power off the Blu Ray player my wife was using to watch media from our server. She prefers it to the Roku, simply from habit. But I had to disable CEC on my Roku 4 because it was turning the TV on in the middle of the night when it received an update. Fortunately, the Ultra doesn't do that, since it's the one in the bedroom. 

And it's certainly something worth considering with new models, when they could introduce a new remote with additional buttons. And I've done some computer programming in the past, so I have an idea about how much work might be involved to add a feature that wasn't part of the original design.  Smiley Wink
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

I didn't read all the other replies, but another way to accomplish this is with a Harmony remote.. assign a button or activity to power the tv off AND hit home on the Roku.. better yet, reverse that- Home key, pause, and then power tv off..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
lion7718
Level 8

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

If your TV USB can power your Roku..it's a 50/50 chance that it will turn off when the TV does.
I have 1 TV that turns the USB power off & another that doesn't.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

"lion7718" wrote:
If your TV USB can power your Roku..it's a 50/50 chance that it will turn off when the TV does.
I have 1 TV that turns the USB power off & another that doesn't.


Tv definitely can't power an Ultra.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Nh_streaming
Level 7

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

I’d like to second his suggestion that the power button on the ultra exit the program and stop streaming. It would be logical and nice to have.
Does anyone else use the sleep timer on their TV? The wasted bandwidth... There must be an HDMI control signal that could tell Roku the TV is going Off. My AV audio system Powers off and on with the TV via HDMI controls. No problem with the Roku staying alive, everything else is. They need to consider wasted bandwidth in their software design.


"Smokindog" wrote:
"atc98092" wrote:
Just pressing the Home button before powering down will always close any channel and stop playback. I made that my habit way back when I got my first Roku. 

Someone else has proposed a sleep timer, which would stop any playback after a set time, and I think that would make sense. They can't implement what you propose across the board because before this year no Roku remote has a power button except for the Roku TVs. 

That's why it needs to be added as an option button.  Home button habits don't work if you fall asleep watching TV Smiley Wink  Also, when my TV is turned off, I expect everything associated with it to terminate (ala CEC).  This request has too many merits to dismiss IMO.

  1. Prevents excessive use of bandwidth

  2. Makes is more consistent with devices that actually DO power off

  3. Dovetails with implementation of sleep timer (another obvious need IMO)

  4. Makes operation more consistent with CEC intent/operation

  5. Makes the device behave like most others

  6. I don't have previous versions of ROKU (I have 4660 and 3800) but if as you say they just added the power button this feature should not impact other ROKU devices as they don't have the power feature........
PS - I always chuckle when someone says some software feature "can't be done" Smiley Happy  Not a slam at you, just a general observation.  
0 Kudos
billbogaiv
Level 7

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

"Smokindog" wrote:
It would really be nice to have a feature option to terminate apps and return to HOME upon a power button request from the remote.

I know at-least "Fire TV with 4K Ultra HD" does something similar. When my TV is turned-off, the Fire TV goes into standby. Watching something like "DirecTV Now" or "Netflix" stops streaming. Then, when the TV is turned-on later, the app. is restarted automatically.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Return to Home Screen on Power Button

"Smokindog" wrote:
PS - I always chuckle when someone says some software feature "can't be done" Smiley Happy  Not a slam at you, just a general observation.  

By the way. My can't be done comment included an additional phrase "...across the board".  Smiley LOL No offense taken.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos