Suggest a Feature

Share your requests for new features, channels, etc. with the Roku team! Search keywords and add a kudo to an existing topic to show your support, or create a new topic if your suggestion isn't listed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TVB99
Level 8

REAL screensaver: turn off video

This was brought up in a discussion, but I want to formally suggest it as a feature: Add a "screensaver" option to discontinue the video signal rather than playing a slide show, clock, etc. There's a "Black" screensaver available that sends a blank image to the display, but that still keeps the monitor/TV "on". Modern displays will usually turn themselves off – saving electricity and the life of the backlight/display tech – when the video signal stops. They power back on when the signal resumes. Including a video-off option after X minutes would turn the Roku "screensaver" feature into a literal "screen saver".

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
TVB99
Level 8

Re: REAL screensaver: turn off video

I want to stress just how annoying this missing feature is becoming. I connected a Roku to one of the ports on my computer monitor, so I could watch something at my desk when someone else is watching the big TV. Now I have to turn that monitor off every time I put my computer to sleep, because the Roku takes it over and keeps it from going to sleep too, like it used to. The fact that people went to the trouble of creating "black" screensavers shows there's an interest in having the monitor go blank instead of doing a slideshow. Why not let us do it "right"?

0 Kudos