Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CoffeeGoat
Binge Watcher

Please Remove Home Screen Ads/Previews for Restricted Content

Jump to solution

Although it's possible to restrict what content can be viewed on the ROKU channel, there should be a similar restriction when browsing/searching. Additionally, it is wholly inappropriate to show advertisements or previews for content that I've chosen to restrict (for instance, if I've restricted R-rated content, that also means I do not want to see advertisements for it on the Home Screen)!

For reference, https://support.roku.com/article/208755938 has this note:

"Movies and TV shows restricted by your PIN preferences are not hidden or filtered when browsing or searching content on The Roku Channel, but your PIN must be entered before any such title can be played."

I've checked the community and variants of this sort of functionality have been requested for quite some time. What I propose is a very simple solution; filter Home Screen ads/previews using the exact same filters that are in-place for content.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Tbu4
Reel Rookie

Re: Please Remove Home Screen Ads/Previews for Restricted Content

Jump to solution
14 REPLIES 14
mg12
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

This is totally unacceptable that this garbage is being peddled on the Home Screen of my Roku where my kid is watching. What say you Roku do you have any morals whatsoever? I used to like this platform now it’s beginning to look like the rest of the garbage that is showing all over the place. “Murder house flip”??? Are you freaking kidding me Roku? 

JeckylPhoto
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I completely agree, I do not want content showing up on my Home Screen that are previews for restricted content or “little demon” which came up tonight while my wife and I sat down to watch a show.

Really if you continue to push this kind of content and do not allow me to restrict what is being displayed on My Home Screen I’ll drop the service and go direct only.

JeckylPhoto
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Please allow us to restrict ads or at least allow me to disable or only allow previews for G content on my Home Screen.  Sometimes when we watch as a whole family with children we use an adult account so I don’t want PG13 or R rated co tent coming up in the preview screens before we go into Disney or Hallmark to search for a show.

bkklight

Jump to solution

This is horrific lately with October/Halloween ads being placed.

Most CTV can block specific ratings for ads. Please allow us to at least opt out of horror or other questionable content. I'm not typically a pearl-clutching suburban mom, but this is ridiculous. If we have "scary" scenes when turning on our roku tv...we will have to replace our roku tv and move to another service with better filtering options. 

CoffeeGoat
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Agreed, and I say this as someone who has a high tolerance for questionable content, appreciates a well-crafted horror film, and has no children in the house. We regularly watch less questionable things during meals, and I've taken to pre-loading those programs to avoid sickening ads for other things.

Counting my blessings that we haven't received any ads for a certain popular streaming service's newest TrueCrime that re-sensationalizes an extremely disturbed individual. Thankfully, I have the ability to block that kind of cultural garbage on the platform itself.

salsaverde9
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I want the side preview of BROS removed from my Roku Home screen.  I don't need this C  rap on the screen when the kids power this on.

Sallverce

Jump to solution

I've been with Roku forever, it's my only portal to entertainment. Now I'm researching articles on fixed IPs and DNS blocking just to see what I want on the home screen. I really hope they add this simple setting soon, or I'll be looking at other options.

Tbu4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Tbu4
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

AAA986D6-2E17-4871-907D-1D541574E34D.jpeg