Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niaxilin
Channel Surfer

Feature Request: Roku Sleep Timer (In * Options Menu)

Please add a Sleep Timer to the Options (*) menu. A left/right slide below "Night listenening" that increments/decrements a timer could be perfect. 15min, 30min, 1hr, 2hr, 4hr.

roku_sleep.jpg

My TV turns off with a sleep timer, but the Roku keeps streaming, eating away at my monthly bandwidth.

Labels (1)
11 REPLIES 11
niaxilin
Channel Surfer

Re: Feature Request: Roku Sleep Timer (In * Options Menu)

Roku OS v9.2 adds a "Bandwidth Saver" feature which stops streaming after four (4) hours. But this isn't configurable, and it's a bit too long to be used as a sleep timer, unless you're having a reeeaaally hard time sleeping 😉

mvb2

It's hard to believe that after all of this time, Roku STILL hasn't added this simple feature. Yes, the functionality is already built into most TVs, but when the TV turns off the Roku keeps streaming. For those of us trying to manage our data usage, this is a problem. I noticed that a recent update has added a power button to the Roku main menu, which can turn off the connected TV. This is a step in the right direction. Can we please have a configurable sleep timer added? The fact that this post has over 2000 views in comparison to most other feature requests should be a strong indicator of how many people want this functionality. We would greatly appreciate this addition.
Iona-D
Roku Guru

I agree!  In the meantime, this is how I solved this lack of an very important feature and manage my data usage as well:

https://community.roku.com/t5/Community-Discussions/Using-A-Dependable-Data-Saving-Timer-With-My-Rok...

In summary:Elaborate Philips Timer Set Up Resized.jpg

I will continue to hope that Roku adds a sleep timer to it's products.  I won't wait around for them to do so.

Iona-D
Roku Guru

0 Kudos
isaacf

I have two Roku TVs which have sleep timers, but the functionality is very limited. At least for Roku TVs, it seems like it would be fairly easy to set up the ability to sleep/shut off at the end of a movie/episode - or even after X number of episodes. 

If that's not possible, it would at least be ideal if we could set time amount of time on the sleep timer to smaller increments (e.g., 5, 10, and 15 minutes).

nerdman
Channel Surfer

A lot of this would be solved if there were better CEC-HDMI controls in the Roku and in the industry. When the TV went off the Roku would see it and stop streaming. 

BrianL

That would be awesome.  Then I would only need to use my (Roku) remote as long as the timer turned off the tv as well as the (Roku).

mikecy1953

We have Roku installed in a bedroom used by my elderly mother so we try to keep the TV interface as simple as possible.  It is primarily used to access the Xfinity (Comcast) app.  Since it takes forever to boot up we leave the Roku on all the time.  The Roku remote has a button to turn off the TV but if you do not hit the Roku 'Home' key first Xfinity will just keep streaming for up to 4 hours after the TV is shut off.  Needless to say she does not hit the 'Home' button all the time.

A useful feature would be to have the Roku return 'Home' when the Power button is pressed, in addition to shutting of the TV.  It seems like this could be an option in the 'Settings'.

It really is surprising there's no "sleep" or "stop streaming after xxx minutes" option that you can set in short increments to save bandwidth for those of us who go to sleep with the TV on.  I live 55-60 miles from many of my local broadcast stations so I frequently go to sleep with the TV on one of the channels from Hulu Live TV, which uses my bandwidth all night because it doesn't stop streaming when the TV sleep timer kicks in. The Roku having a 4 hour bandwidth saver option is nice but it's too long for a sleep timer during bedtime, so I bought a smart plug I control w/my phone or tablet and set it to turn off 1-1/2 to 2 hours from the time I go to bed. It works in lieu of the Roku having this functionality, but that means I have to book up the Roku each night to use it so it would be nicer if Roku included a a "stop streaming after..." option that you can set in 15 minute increments.