Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twiceover
Roku Guru

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

I have a feeling they are not linked in any way.  The Power/Volume buttons on that control the IR while the home/etc buttons are wifi direct.  It's possible they don't even intersect in the programming.

And of course I could be completely wrong.  Just thinking out loud.
0 Kudos
lfayb
Roku Guru

Re: Roku, please allow the power button to send the home comand to the Roku so it stops streaming

"twiceover" wrote:
I have a feeling they are not linked in any way.  The Power/Volume buttons on that control the IR while the home/etc buttons are wifi direct.  It's possible they don't even intersect in the programming.

And of course I could be completely wrong.  Just thinking out loud.

You could be correct.  If someone from ROKU could confirm that, then at  least we would know it is not possible.
0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

OP has a Roku Streaming Stick model 3800.

He’s previously posted a thread on this same topic in April. It had the very same subject. https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=114359&p=589450#p589450

He was given all the correct answers, but has now started a new thread on the same topic.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

"scottypie1234" wrote:
It should also turn out the lights for you so you don't burn electricity.

And make toast. We’ve been asking for this for years!

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

I've seen this on my Roku 3 a few times, no matter how many times I've told my wife to stop the stream, usually a music stream. I finally programmed the home command into my Harmony as a "when leaving activity" so it now does that.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

It would be a useful feature, but I suspect current hardware (remote) doesn’t support sending IR and WiFi Direct from a single button press. For the Roku 3 or any other device that accepts IR commands, this would work. OP has a Roku 3. But, he’s talking about his Stick, which doesn’t accept IR commands.

Those with family members that don’t understand the importance of pressing “Home” when done have this issue. I taught my relatives to press “Home” when they’re done, then told the one in the household that pays the bills that if others don’t press home, it keeps streaming. Since any overages come out of their pocket, they are the enforcer.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos
Coach_David
Visitor

I am referring to the sticks. The ultra has a power save mode. Also my Roku tv turns off.

I have the stick on other TV's and it's just not a good user interface when you can't tell that you are not streaming without turning the tv back on
0 Kudos
Coach_David
Visitor

Oh I have the 3800
0 Kudos
Coach_David
Visitor

I noticed when I was watching YouTube tv and all my shows were in a watched state. I then tested the remotes power.

Then I called support. I asked to put in a feature request. They did but that was a few months ago
0 Kudos
Basil
Roku Guru

"Coach David" wrote:
I have the stick on other TV's and it's just not a good user interface when you can't tell that you are not streaming without turning the tv back on

Actually, it's easy to tell. Were you streaming when you hit the "off" button? Then it's still streaming. Every Roku device (not Roku TV, but the standard Roku devices) works that way.
Basil
Longtime Roku user
0 Kudos