Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dashaund
Channel Surfer

Feature Request: IPv6 Support

I'm running a dual stack IPv4/IPv6 network at home, as well as many other Roku users, and I'd like to take advantage of the modern network infrastructure that is IPv6.  Many of the content providers (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube) support IPv6.  Competitor products support IPv6 (Chromecast, Firestick, Apple TV).  However, my favorite platform in Roku does not, which is disappointing.  Any reason why it's disabled?

9 REPLIES 9
idlemind
Reel Rookie

Re: Feature Request: IPv6 Support

I personally am waiting as long as possible to refresh devices primarily because of this. I may also begin switching over to another provider of streaming boxes if this is a feature that Roku continues to ignore.

Why does the lack of IPv6 cause you to delay refreshes?

0 Kudos
idlemind
Reel Rookie

Because I'm not going to support a product by purchasing more of them unless I absolutely have to if they don't support me and my use cases in return.

Speak with your wallet.

IPv6 is not new and is deployed heavily especially by significant streaming platforms. I can't think of a good reason to not have it enabled and functional.

MHammett
Channel Surfer

I don't know how this is still an unanswered request. This should have been in place 5 - 10 years ago.

DevNull00
Reel Rookie

I don't understand why Rokus still don't support ipv6.  I've had it for ages.  My mobile provider has had it for ages....

MHammett
Channel Surfer

If you draw too much attention, they'll delete the post.

Catch 22,  you need to draw attention so they do it, but it seems like all they'll do is delete it.

https://twitter.com/TheBrothersWISP/status/1426331496768589832

https://www.facebook.com/thebrotherswisp/posts/4005723072886448

bluej21
Channel Surfer

It's time to revive this discussion with the recent actions by Netflix, Prime, and other streaming services.  Thousands of people are unable to watch the content they pay for simply because their IPv4 address has been flagged for VPN/proxy use.  In many cases these are false positives.  Source: I work for an ISP whose customers are affected by this.  We've deployed IPv6 for nearly our entire customer base.  Those customers with IPv6-capable equipment have been unaffected.  Roku as a platform needs to move into the year 2021 and deploy IPv6.

MHammett
Channel Surfer

Ditto

bluej21
Channel Surfer

More than 2 years later we're still waiting.  Meanwhile every major streaming service supports IPv6.  I can't understand why the IPv6 stack isn't available for those apps/services even if Roku chooses not to use it for their own purposes.

0 Kudos