Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Munchiniwa
Reel Rookie

Feature Request: ExFat

I have seen many discussions on this board and many others about Roku's (and other video players) inability to read ExFat drives, but I have not seen anyone request that feature be added to the Ultra. I also have been reading that many people seem to have trouble reading HFS format on the Ultra. Perhaps I am incorrect, but isn't the only reason that people purchase the Ultra is to get the USB access?
So this is my official request, ROKU, please add ExFat access to the Ultra.
Another option would be to add access to an ExFat app the way Synology does it. Yes, it costs $3 but solves ALL the incompatibility issues.

Labels (1)
22 REPLIES 22
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Feature Request: ExFat

Microsoft has several patents on ExFAT, so it would cost money. That is why Synology charges for it. Most likely, only a tiny percentage of users use USB with their Roku's. Adding ExFAT support would not be a simple add-on, but a separate firmware.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

The HFS format of a media file has nothing to do with the way the drive is formatted. HFS is usually in either an MP4 or MOV container, both of which the Roku will play from any supported device. I believe you are making a valid request, as many people use exFat drive formatting. But I wouldn't say the primary reason for buying an Ultra is the USB port. I believe the Ethernet port is the primary reason, and with the Ultra 4640 the optical out was another reason. Other than testing it once, I've never used the USB port on any of my Roku players. But then I keep my media on a server so any device on the network can access them. Plus that way I don't have to worry about file compatibility, as my server will transcode any unsupported codec or container. 
Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
CorruptComputer
Reel Rookie

exFAT is no longer owned by Microsoft. They gave up their patents to it to the Open Invention Network and now it is freely available to use, which is why support for it was recently added to the Linux kernel.

There is now no reason as to why Roku can't add support for it.

Source: https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-readies-exfat-patents-for-linux-and-open-source/

skideric
Reel Rookie

YES ! This needs to be FIXED!

128gb FD's,most common size,comes pre-formatted with exFAT...

Broadleaf

ExFAT support is even more important these days on Roku TVs than it ever has been on setup players. People who aren't technologically savvy can plug a USB flash drive into a Roku TV and use it to display pictures or videos, but they often have no idea what file system their drive has been formatted. If they have any large files it is very possible they aren't using FAT32.

corrale

Any news on this? We are definitely getting close to the FAT32 file limit and it just makes more sense to use exFAT for the cross platform capabilities.

danielrg76
Reel Rookie

I would also like to see exFAT support.  I use USB drives with my Roku Ultra and would prefer to use exFAT for them due to compatibility with other devices for the same USB stick.

Tiberious_ST
Reel Rookie

Add me to the request 5/6 of my USB drives are ex-fat, don’t be a TiVo :). Update!

mynok12
Reel Rookie

I didn't even know this was thing until I tried to move a file and realized my drive wasn't exfat so it wouldn't take the file, reformatted and then put it into Roku Ultra.  Roku Ultra just laughs at me.  Come on guys, add this please.