Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
helloisme
Binge Watcher

Feature Request: Add Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support

Suggestion in the title. Roku Ultra states on its spec page that it "typically" consumes only 4.5W of power. That's well within the envelope for being powered via PoE or PoE+. It would be an awesome feature to reduce the clutter of various A/V bricks and power cables.

Pretty please?

17 REPLIES 17
helloisme
Binge Watcher

Re: Feature Request: Add Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) support

Bump

Havok
Reel Rookie

Bump Again

KGTKyleG

Bump a third.

brian2200
Channel Surfer

Bump....POE would be appreaciated to reduce brick Clutter

Octothorpe42
Channel Surfer

Bump 11/2021. Any POE or at the very least a micro USB or 5.5x2.1mm power jack rather than the odd sized 4.75x1.7mm jack currently used so that standard 3rd party POE splitters could be used. I mean seriisly, 3.5w of power is hardly a challenge for USB or POE and a built-in power transformer could easily adjust 5v USB to 12v or 48v POE to 12v.

Here are 2 POE Splitters that could be used with the right jack on the device even if the feature isn't built in:

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Compliant-Surveillance-5-5x2-1mm-PS5712TG/dp/B08HS4NT13/

https://www.amazon.com/UCTRONICS-802-3af-Splitter-Ethernet-Raspberry/dp/B01MDLUSE7/

helloisme
Binge Watcher

Very valid point. Being compatible with a POE splitter would work as well!

OwnerofDevices
Roku Guru

POE is something that you don't ever see in some bigger businesses let alone homes. A POE adapter still needs to be plug in an external power supply. POE switches cost a lot of money. 

Octothorpe42
Channel Surfer

Octothorpe42
Channel Surfer

@OwnerofDevices Maybe not in average homes, but easily within the realm of the prosumer.  I know people that spend 5 digits just on the control systems for their AV setup in their homes.

Businesses use Roku devices as well, many of which POE for their phones if not other devices. 

POE switches can be rather inexpensive, I can get smaller switches with POE for under $100. I own 3 POE switches in my home and power 4 $100 Wifi access points and other devices with them.   I currently have 14 active POE Ports in my house and are really useful to power all manner of home security devices and IOT devices. I use several POE splitters as well to power lower powered hardwired network devices that aren't near power and/or that I want powered through my network UPS.