Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HKNinja

Re: Channel Request: add VLC for Roku

Definitely need VLC Player for Roku.  The build-in Roku media player doesn't play mkv or a number of other video formats which my 5-year-old Xiaomi TV box plays almost everything I throw at it.  I have to use my Xiaomi box to play most of my saved video now instead of my Roku Ultra, which is a shame.

0 Kudos
Rickb19184
Binge Watcher

I have been using the roku media player for years and it doesn't work at all video playback is not supported on all file formats and when you do pause or go back it doesn't work at all this media player is a joke vs a VLC Player that have way more fractures that this player we called Roku Media Player that can not do anything after the update to  the media player that did not help at all. If we just had VLC we have way more better support for a lot of file formats like. This is crazy that we cant not even have a good player we have to force to use this players that doesn't have any fire formats support or work right

come on guys Roku

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

If you can play over the network instead of from USB, try using Plex, Emby, or Jellyfin.

0 Kudos
Rickb19184
Binge Watcher

That's doesn't helps the problem i have use Plex before and you have to have a online to work even if you want to use it for a local account i had it working but the problem i find out is that if you are not have a online connection it will work because  it use a email address to log in to it  if i turn off the internet when I'm local in my own house it will work work it's says can't connect online so i can't use it 

i have a media server that works with all players but with Roku media player it don't play good with file formats very good i have steam it on my Xbox one and it can play fine with VLC player so the real problem is the Roku player, the Plex player it can seethe media server i have but it need to install a 2rd steam server when i have one it makes no point that's we really need to add VLC is the most better player out there that can work with any media server why is that hard to have VLC with a lot of derv ices have it already like xbox,windows,apple tv,Amazon devices have it well come on guys this is crazy

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Roku Guru

@Rickb19184 wrote:

That's doesn't helps the problem i have use Plex before and you have to have a online to work even if you want to use it for a local account i had it working but the problem i find out is that if you are not have a online connection it will work because  it use a email address to log in to it  if i turn off the internet when I'm local in my own house it will work work it's says can't connect online so i can't use it 

That's one of those 'if it hurts don't do it' cases.  Why would anyone turn off their internet in their own house?    I thought Plex would find local servers even without logging in anyway unless you restrict users, but maybe that has changed or is different on other devices.

The problem with VLC is that roku does not support the language it is written in.   Jellyfin is suffering from that as well since the roku client has to be updated from the last public emby code that is too old for current rokus to run (also the reason the old media player had to be replaced...) and there are not a lot of programmers.

0 Kudos
Myers13666

Re: plase add VLC for Roku

Where does VideoLAN make its money?

The vlc player is free in every way. You don't pay a fee for it there's no adverts.

Would it take a lot if effort to put it in Roku?

It's just a matter of of changing the code slightly.

VLC works on everything from Xbox to apple.

Apple isn't the most open company when it comes to opensource resources. The iPhone is terrible for downloading third party apps or programs. Apple is simply a money machine and for most stuff they want your money. 

So I don't see what resources VideoLAN would use? 

It's basically designed to work almost anywhere. The only thing that would need changing is the interface. The interface is different from the one I have on my pc to the one I have on my android smartphone. 

That's the only change. 

@henazo wrote:

@Rickb19184 and @boogernose @ I agree it would be nice to have the functionality of vlc player in the form of a Roku channel.  The problem is, vlc is an open source tool and Roku is profit drive

Roku doesn't stand to make money here so they're not about to pour resources into development.  On the vlc side, a dev with extra time on his hands (and for free) would need to port vlc code to roku's heavily customized Linux OS, test it, QA it etc and all this work assumes there's not already several app channels that collectively do everything vlc does.

I just don't see it happening, vlc will most likely never be something living on Roku hardware or software.  But hey at least the cast or render to function works well with Roku!

0 Kudos