Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rickb19184
Binge Watcher

Channel Request: add VLC for Roku

I have VLC for a lot of player it's a grate player when it come to play over a media server, They have VLC for a lat of players like apple , fire stick, PC & mac, Android services, Xbox one but not for Roku player i hope we can add VLC for Roku iit's a verey cool player when it come to play videos over a media server

i hope we can add this to Roku some point it helps it can play more file type like MKV files  

i really hope we can get VLC on Roku it will really help to play MKV files

[post moved to appropriate board and title changed to denote channel request]

15 REPLIES 15
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: plase add VLC for Roku

I like VLC  as well. I've used it for many many years. It is open source and has more bells and whistles than I'll ever need,

You need to take this to the VLC Developers directly.

https://www.videolan.org/contact.html 

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
Rickb19184
Binge Watcher

i did e mail VLC to hope that they can make a VLC for Roku it will really help if we can add VLC to Roku  because it works better with media file type  when it come to play video over a lan network on a media it the best player vs the Roku that do not have that much of features one of the problems i have with playing a movie over a LAN media server it will not play a MKV it show up not with the right format of the video when it shows that it can play MKV file on there web site   with the Roku Ultra it shows that it will play a MKV with USB media but on the web site it don't tell about any fire type if you play a movie over a LAN network with a media server  so please i hope VLC can come to Roku it can play any movie file type over  the network 

0 Kudos
boogernose
Roku Guru

yeah I stopped using the media player on Roku a long time ago for just those reasons. And I removed that app.

Now I play stuff on VLC on one of my computers and just mirror it over to the bigger tv.

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
Rickb19184
Binge Watcher

If VLC can be add to Roku will download that right a way it works awesome with my m local media server i have a lot o movies on it, I use VLC on all my devices we have it set with VLC but the Roko and you right sir it works awesome on all my devices to bad VLC is not for Roku let it make a a best player to play movies or videos if you want play something, By send them a e mail to VLC hope they can get VLC to work with Roku

you right sir  VLC is one the best player better then Roku media player for share nothing will bet it.

If the Roku media player is update to rad the same file types like MKV form a LAN connection  VLC will work out better

So i really hope after e mail that we can make it work with Roku if they can make it work for apple TV they can make it work for Roku

0 Kudos
henazo

@Rickb19184 and @boogernose @ I agree it would be nice to have the functionality of vlc player in the form of a Roku channel.  The problem is, vlc is an open source tool and Roku is profit drive

Roku doesn't stand to make money here so they're not about to pour resources into development.  On the vlc side, a dev with extra time on his hands (and for free) would need to port vlc code to roku's heavily customized Linux OS, test it, QA it etc and all this work assumes there's not already several app channels that collectively do everything vlc does.

I just don't see it happening, vlc will most likely never be something living on Roku hardware or software.  But hey at least the cast or render to function works well with Roku!

0 Kudos

i have with playing a movie over a LAN media server it will not play a MKV it show up not with the right format of the video when it shows that it can play MKV file on there web site with the Roku Ultra it shows that it will play a MKV with USB media but on the web site it don't tell about any fire type if you play a movie over a LAN network by VLC

@boogernose wrote:

I like VLC  as well. I've used it for many many years. It is open source and has more bells and whistles than I'll ever need,

You need to take this to the VLC Developers directly.

https://www.videolan.org/contact.html 

lesmikesell
Roku Guru

I'd like to see VLC on roku too, but meanwhile I'd recommend using Plex for playing media over your LAN since it will transcode formats as necessary for different devices, or using Handbrake on a computer to convert to compatible formats.

0 Kudos
CPsychoD

Re: Channel Request: add VLC for Roku

I just bought my Roku TV and its a great product. 

But what i don't get is how you have compatibility between the roku stick and vlc

But between vlc and the roku tv nothing yet

Please add it, it would be a great combination.

Tags (1)
offroad
Streaming Star

Re: Channel Request: add VLC for Roku

Try using the PLAYON application and the free version of the PLAYON server on your laptop.  It will work with Roku to watch movies in MKV or MP4.  A an alternative to waiting on VLC, or waiting on the MEDIA PLAYER app to be upgraded to work with SMB shared NAS files. 

0 Kudos