Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wilif

Channel Request - BT Sport and Disneylife

Hi

Is it possible to add the two above services as channels please?

[post moved and title changed to denote a channel request]

Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Channel suggestions - BT Sport and Disneylife

You would have to contact those providers. Roku does not create the channels that are available (other than The Roku Channel and Roku Media Player). It is up to a provider to decide they want to offer a Roku channel, and they are also the only one that can decide which Roku devices they will support and what geographical locations their channel will work. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Doctor10
Streaming Star

@atc98092 The whole point of this part of the Community is to tell Roku what channels we would like so they can investigate the possibility with the channel providers.

atc98092

@Doctor10 wrote:

@atc98092 The whole point of this part of the Community is to tell Roku what channels we would like so they can investigate the possibility with the channel providers.

Not really. This section is for suggesting a feature for the player itself, not content. Roku does not (as far as I can tell) ever solicit a channel from a provider. The provider must take the initiative to develop a channel for Roku devices. 

Such features might be adding support for image based captions, which all DVD and Blu Ray discs use. Or additional codec support, such as Dolby Vision or lossless audio passthrough. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Doctor10
Streaming Star

In that case, I would say that the description is misleading, as other posters have clearly read it the same way as me.  Also, if you check out the channel request form here:

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/208756868

The following questions are asked:

What Roku channel would you love us to add?
What do you like about the channel? What shows in particular you like best?

atc98092

Sorry, I don't believe it's mislabeled at all. Feature and channel are two different things. 

I had never seen that channel suggestion form, so it's nice they at least solicit input. I assume if they receive a number of suggestions for the same channel they might reach out to the provider and let them know Roku users are asking for one. But that form isn't within this forum at all. There is no channel suggestion section of the forum.

Dan

0 Kudos
Doctor10
Streaming Star

@atc98092 The HEADING of this forum topic is "Suggest a Feature" I agree, but the DESCRIPTION of this forum topic says "Share your requests for new features, channels, etc. with the Roku team!":

Suggest a Feature

Share your requests for new features, channels, etc. with the Roku team! Search keywords and add a kudo to an existing topic to show your support, or create a new topic if your suggestion isn't listed.

Anyway, I have contacted the provider as well (in this case, BT, as it is the BT Sport App that I would like see added to Roku) and they have confirmed that it WILL be coming "very soon".

It was a contractual issue that forced them to make it available on the Roku powered NowTV devices first before making it available on the Roku devices themselves.  Which seems a bit back to front, but I can understand it being part of the deal agreed with Sky 2-3 years ago whereby Sky would make their NowTV channels available to BT TV subscribers.

0 Kudos
Doctor10
Streaming Star

@Wilif @atc98092 I raised this on the BT Community forums last night and was advised that "there are contractual reasons why it had to be made available on Now TV devices first, but don't worry - it's coming to Roku devices very soon!"

0 Kudos