Suggest a Feature

Share your Roku suggestions or request a feature from the Roku team! Add a kudo to existing topics to show your support, or create a new topic for new requests.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dobash35

Best remote for seniors to use with ROKU?

My elderly husband has difficulty seeing the small buttons on the remote that comes with our ROKU right now (The one with Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, and Sling buttons on the bottom.)  Can anyone recommend a remote with large buttons which is compatible with ROKU?  Thank you!  🙂

19 REPLIES 19
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Best remote for seniors to use with ROKU?

P1010420 (800x600).jpg

As long as the Roku responds to IR commands, a Roku stick can only be control by RF roku remote, but console and roku TV's can be controlled via after market universal like the following:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-For-All-Universal-Remote-Streaming-Control-3-Devices-Stream-Box-TV-Audi...

Here's  in comparison to roku remote:

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
dobash35

I appreciate you including a picture with your suggestion.  That remote does look bigger but it still might have too many buttons.  I guess I need to find something with big buttons but simpler to operate?  Thank you for your help.  I really appreciate it.  🙂

Iona-D
Roku Guru

I use the Philips Universal Remotes for operating various television brands in the house and some limited use with the Roku Ultra box.  Just keep in mind that the Universal Remote probably won't operate all the functions/features of the Roku device.  I did pair my Philips remote with the Roku Ultra with no problem as this remote had a streaming device button on it.  I can see and use the larger buttons on that remote easier than the smaller Roku buttons.  The features I can access are quite few in number and I did fail to pair with with the Roku Stick (it does not pair with the Stick, only with the Ultra).  My own solution whether in a dimly lighted room or without my reading glasses is to learn the positions of the buttons, just like touch typing or playing the piano.  Once I did that, no more issue!

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Community Streaming Expert

Adding a code or teaching a universal remote to control a roku is not pairing, you can only pair a roku to wifi remote, which is the only type of remote roku sticks communicates with. Where an Ultra can accept IR commands which is only type of signal an aftermarket preprogrammed/learning remote will send.

Edmund
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Roku Guru

I do freely admit sometimes I feel a bit out of sorts with the tech talk that goes on in these types of forums.  I see my own contributions as a means ot navigate using their devices to the maximum benefit of it's own limits.  By using either simple to use and inexpensive add-ons (i.e. On/Off Switches or Timers) o another approach to using a given product in another way not usually expected (back lit remotes or simply learning the positions of the buttons without looking at it)

To be honest, I am as far from high tech as you can get.  I look it as a matter of Sematics.  The military always say, "Results!"  and that is what I present here and in the few other places I posted.  All I know for sue it works for me-perhaps it will do the same for you!

0 Kudos
Iona-D
Roku Guru

I forgot to mention that I'm a Senior too!  With failing eyesight.

4d3fect
Roku Guru

This  could work maybe?

TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Roku Guru

I like the way this remote you suggested is so good for the elderly with physical and/or mental limitations.  I would buy it for my mother if I hadn't gave her this one below last week before I knew of this super large button Universal Remote you spotted online: 

Philips Remote.jpgI have been telling my own mother to ignore the buttons on the upper portion of the remote to avoid confusion.  She really does like the large back  lighted buttons on this remote.  Your remote is far more simple to use, yet still even more very limited in one important way, it doesn't appear to be Roku friendly even as limited as the Philips is: 

".......Will it work with a Toshiba or Roku tv?

It is not really suitable for a Roku TV; the Roku interfaces needs more buttons (up, down, left, right, select, volume up, volume down).

I programmed the DT-R08C to change channels (up or down) on my Spectrum cable box; but I still need the TCL/Roku TV controller to select the Cable TV . But a replacement remote for the TCL/Roku is only $10, and is almost as simple....."  -(From Amazon's own Website Question/Answer section of this particular remote in question).

That does not takeaway the basic design of this simple huge buttons remote.  It has a physical wrist strap (very important), it seems to control most televisions' basic functions, easy to use and see for the most disabled people to use.  Just for television use it seem to not be beat.   I still can and will use my Roku remote by feel in low light times of the night for now.  I do hope corporations like Roku will remember to design their products with the more disabled/elderly population in mind.  That's were their largest populations and biggest users are located.

Thank you for posting the huge button EasyMote Universal remote and  bringing it to the forum's attention.

0 Kudos
Robb58

It would really help if ROKU would consider the needs of seniors and people with disabilities and develop a friendlier, less confusing remote with larger keys and print that is easier to read. These companies seem to overlook that there is a big market out there for people who need a simplified system. The best thing people can do is keep asking for it. Whether ROKU or Firestick develops it, the first will likely be the standard seniors turn to.