I used to have a fire stick and would watch tv and switch over to an xbox game and when I switched back the fire stick would still be playing. This was great for watching sports and switching to the Xbox during commercials etc. I switched to roku and when I switch to Xbox and play a game and then switch back it goes back to the home screen and I have to start up the app over again to continue watching. It’s super annoying and wouldn’t have switched to roku if I new this was the case. Is there a way to keep the app (youtube tv, peacock, etc) playing while I switch the tv to a different input?
This is definitely not a normal behavior for any Roku model.
Assuming you have current firmware (9.4.0-4120 or 10.0.0-4165), you might:
1) Try manually configuring both Display and Audio under Settings to see if either of those is causing the issue (put them both manually on something other than "auto").
2) Try disabling/enabling Auto framerate adjust (Settings/System/Advanced display settings).
Otherwise, there are some other explanations:
1) Your (WiFi Direct) Roku remote is perhaps sending a stray signal/key press from time to time, though this should otherwise happen when you are watching content.
2) The Roku mobile app on a device is controlling the Roku and causing the issue, though again this should otherwise happen when you are watching content.
3) The TV is turning off/resetting the HDMI ports in some way when switching between them, causing the Roku to drop back to the home screen due to some HDMI handshaking/EDID issue, though this should show up with other devices in some manner.
For 1, You could try taking the batteries out of your Roku remote after loading/playing content, and before switching inputs via the TV remote - if you switch away and switch back and the content is still playing, its the Roku remote causing the drop.
For 2, you could disable the WiFi on your phone, assuming there are no other devices on your network with the Roku mobile app.
For 3, maybe a firmware update/change of deeper settings.
I don’t have the roku app on my phone and I took the batteries out of the remote.
I also made the changes you suggested.
Like I said. I had no problem with the fire stick so I can’t imagine it’s the tv. it’s not an instant switch to the main menu either. It takes around 5 minutes of playing a game and then switching back to the roku before it’s back to the main menu. Hope I’m explaining that right. I can’t be the only one who has dealt with this.