Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: "Bandwidth Saver" Not Working Properly

Hi @dpwii

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Please be advised that some streaming channels employ their own mechanism to cease data usage after a specific period of inactivity. These features will not be affected when you disable Bandwidth Saver on your Roku. Have you checked if the same issue occurs on other channels? 

We look forward to your response.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Hello @Karenr1

I hope you're doing well.

Could you tell us specifically about the issue you're experiencing? Does it happen on one channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device? Please let us know. We'd like to know more about how we can help.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Karenr1
Reel Rookie

I'm not sure.  I'll have to check. But I know it's not turning off on YoutubeTV

0 Kudos
Karenr1
Reel Rookie

Not sure.  I usually fall asleep with YouTubeTV on so I know it's not turning off there.  I'll check on some others.  Do you know if YouTube has recently made a change?

0 Kudos
CelticsFan
Roku Guru

@Karenr1  What is your Roku model number? Have you disabled bandwidth saver? Did you check for any power saving features to disable? Certain Roku models have this. As far as YouTube TV any questions with that you would have to ask Google. 

0 Kudos
Karenr1
Reel Rookie

Not at home so can't check model number.  I have turned bandwidth saver on and off. I've updated and restarted everything. This is not a problem that has always been.  It just started. 

0 Kudos
dpwii
Channel Surfer

Mine will stream for days on the Sling TV app.  No matter what channel I am streaming.

To be more specific, mine is a 4230X - Roku 3 with software version 11.0.0 Build 4193-04

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@dpwii

Thanks for the reply.

Please provide us with the following information for further investigation:

1. Roku device model, Serial number, Device ID, Software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  2. Does this issue occur on a specific channel? If so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  3. Tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  4. Steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
dpwii
Channel Surfer

Here is the info from one of the three players I know of that will continue to stream for days.

Model 4230X - Roku 3

Serial 63267M013915

Software Version 11.0.0 Build 4193-04

I have issues on the Sling TV Channel, Although others in the thread have reported the problem on YouTube also.

Sling TV Version 8.30 - Build 2249

Tracker ID: 15-237-244

It's easy to reproduce.  Start streaming on any Sling channel, take batteries out of remote and it will play continuously until I stop it.  I have verified again the the Bandwidth Saver is turned ON.

Thanks in Advance!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@dpwii

Thanks for the post.

It's possible that the channel itself has channel settings are that are overriding the bandwidth saver feature on your Roku device. Have you already tried contacting the channel provider to see what insight they can provide?

In the meantime, I have passed along your concerns to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos