Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonman1606
Reel Rookie

low volume on roku tv watching hbomax

Jump to solution

The volume is so low its unwatchable without subtitles is there anything I can do to fix this? Please help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Re: low volume on roku tv watching hbomax

Jump to solution

You know, I don't see that in my menu either. I hope you have this setting on your Roku TV because older models like the Roku 3 and below don't have this***:

Go into HBOmax, play the show or movie you're watching, press pause, press the "*" key, and hopefully, you'll see a menu pop out on the left. You should see "Closed Captioning," and right below it is Volume Mode, so press the bottom arrow to scroll to it, press "ok," select Leveling (again by using the bottom arrow and pressing "ok"), and it should now say "leveling" under Volume mode. Either press the "*" key again, or the menu will go away on its own. What this does is it raises the music and the voices to the same level, so you no longer have to turn up the TV to hear what their saying and then get blasted by the music. I also use the closed captioning feature when the person's voice just doesn't come through all that clearly. 

***Now, if you don't have that feature of the menu coming out on the left side when pressing the star key, here's another way to get to closed captioning in HBOmax:

When you're in the movie or show in HBOmax with the movie or show paused, press the bottom arrow, and you should see the play line, and when you press the bottom arrow again, you'll select the closed captioning icon on the right bottom. Press "ok" and that will pull up the closed captioning screen. Tap the "left" button and then tap "ok" to select subtitles. Then select "English CC" and select "ok". Then select the "back" button to leave that menu.

If this fixes your issue then be sure to mark this thread as solved, and kudos are always nice too. Thank you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Hello @Anonman1606

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue only occur on specific conten/channel or across other apps installed on your Roku TV? Have you tried enabling Automatic Volume Leveling? If not, follow the instructions below then let us know if there's any difference afterward:

1. Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  2. Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  3. Select Audio.
  4. Select Volume modes.
  5. Leveling: Enables consistent volume across different types of entertainment so you do not have to change the volume every time you switch channels or a commercial comes on.

If you have a Roku TV, you may be able to adjust manufacturer-specific sound modes from the same options menu described above. 

For more information, this support article may help: How do I use volume modes on my Roku® streaming device?

Keep us updated!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Anonman1606
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Hi thanks for responding there unfortunately isn't an option for volume modes or any option for leveling. If it helps its an onn. Roku tv 

0 Kudos
Portalogem
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

You know, I don't see that in my menu either. I hope you have this setting on your Roku TV because older models like the Roku 3 and below don't have this***:

Go into HBOmax, play the show or movie you're watching, press pause, press the "*" key, and hopefully, you'll see a menu pop out on the left. You should see "Closed Captioning," and right below it is Volume Mode, so press the bottom arrow to scroll to it, press "ok," select Leveling (again by using the bottom arrow and pressing "ok"), and it should now say "leveling" under Volume mode. Either press the "*" key again, or the menu will go away on its own. What this does is it raises the music and the voices to the same level, so you no longer have to turn up the TV to hear what their saying and then get blasted by the music. I also use the closed captioning feature when the person's voice just doesn't come through all that clearly. 

***Now, if you don't have that feature of the menu coming out on the left side when pressing the star key, here's another way to get to closed captioning in HBOmax:

When you're in the movie or show in HBOmax with the movie or show paused, press the bottom arrow, and you should see the play line, and when you press the bottom arrow again, you'll select the closed captioning icon on the right bottom. Press "ok" and that will pull up the closed captioning screen. Tap the "left" button and then tap "ok" to select subtitles. Then select "English CC" and select "ok". Then select the "back" button to leave that menu.

If this fixes your issue then be sure to mark this thread as solved, and kudos are always nice too. Thank you.

Anonman1606
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It's not perfect but I think that's gonna be about as good as it gets so thank you! 

0 Kudos
dcheitel

Jump to solution

The problem I am having is, that on any app that I install on the roku tv, the level is low. I then took a fire tv stick and put it on the same tv and then installed the same apps.

when running from the Roku side the volume can be at 100 and still not loud enough but when running same app from the firestick on the same tv the volume wont be over 30 and be loud.

Theres got to be some way to get resolution as this proves the issue is a software issue on the roku side....opinions?

_Xena_
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes the roku 3s do have this setting. It's on both my TV's

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you! I have been trying to figure out why some streaming channels are so much lower than others. Showtime has been the biggest problem. I even have a soundbar. Your instructions fixed it. You rock! 😉

0 Kudos
Joghog

Jump to solution

dcheitel, Thanks for the tip on using a firestick; it works.  I wouldn't have thought to do that.  I had bought two different brands of soundbars to try & fix the low volume problem, but neither helped; then I read this thread.  It's a shame that an additional device has to be used.