Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
travisr912
Channel Surfer

Will adjusting display resolution reduce bandwidth consumption from 1080p to 720p?

Will adjusting the Roku display resolution from 1080p to 720p reduce bandwidth consumption?

We are using the Roku on an aircraft with a limited connection and wonder if this makes any difference using apps like DirecTV Stream, FuboTV, etc. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Will adjusting display resolution reduce bandwidth consumption from 1080p to 720p?

Yes it will. 
What model Roku do you have?  I own a Roku Express+ 3910, attached to my old Magnavox CRT set from 1994 (via Composite) through an old 1993 Archer/RadioShack A/V switcher connected to my old 1991 Sharp HiFi Stereo VCR, and it is set to 480i. (Composite output is only 480i for NTSC or 576i for PAL, FYI.)

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
travisr912
Channel Surfer

Re: Will adjusting display resolution reduce bandwidth consumption from 1080p to 720p?

I am using a variety of 4k sticks and the Ultra. Thank you for the response but I am not sure that your example applies to our situation. 

I am referring to total data consumption from the WAN source. 

Thank you

0 Kudos