Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mal14
Reel Rookie

Re: Dark screen. Can barely see tv programs.

I replaced my Roku Streaming Stick+ and this was fine yesterday when I installed it.  Today the screen has gone dark again.

0 Kudos
Dogcatcher
Reel Rookie

@Mal14 

Be sure to try all HDMI ports, back and side.  They may have different characteristics.  And disconnect all other inputs while testing.

If switching ports does no good, take a deep dive into the TV's video settings to see if some "automatic" option is interfering with the Roku signal.

Try your Stick+ w/o external power, in the (unlikely) event the Stick+ is overdriving the port.

Try some other brand of streaming device borrowed from a friend.  If it works, then you're on your way to a solution.  If no device works, then it begins to look like the problem is with your TV.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Mal14

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried connecting the device to another HDMI port on your TV to see if the same issue occurs?

For troubleshooting purposes, try connecting the device to another TV, do you see the issue happen there as well? 

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Dot7

Re: Why is the picture on my TV screen dark / dim?

My picture is dark also. When I view the channel in TV view it is fine. My TV is only a few months old.

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@Dot7  Roku does not make TV's. They only make the software and sell it to companies such as TCL, Hisense or Sharp. Who manufactured your TV? Does this happen on the home screen? Certain channels such as Netflix or Hulu? Have you reset the picture mode be pressing the * button while watching something? 

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Dot7,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help get you up and running.
A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 
1. Are you using a Roku TV or a Roku device?
2. Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device?
3. How long has the issue been occurring?
4. What troubleshooting steps have you taken so far to try to resolve the issue?
5. What are you seeing on screen? Can you provide a screenshot of the issue you are experiencing?

With more information, we will be able to assist you further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos
daiken0304

Unplugging it from the wall and waiting 10 seconds then plugging it back in worked for me. Hope it doesn't do that again 😕 

0 Kudos
MrsGood

My TV did the same thing. I went in to setting and changed it from normal to movie settings and it fixed my issue.

0 Kudos
Wm-in-LA

There is definitely a software glitch in the Roku. Last night I tried to setup a brand new Roku Streaming Stick 4K for my older smart TV. When viewing content via the Roku Stick, the TV display was bright and clear. Then I switched the TV input to my usual OTA antenna source. The display was so dark that I initially thought that the TV must have shut down. Nothing I could do (menus; re-sets; unplugging and restarting) could fix the problem. Finally, I simply unplugged the Roku stuck from the HDMI port. Instantly, the display returned to its normal mode and my OTA antenna content became bright and clear. In short, even though I was not watch Roku, then Roku stick disabled the proper function of the display on my TV. How is this even possible?

0 Kudos