Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Why is the picture on my TV screen dark / dim?

Yes, I do. I just tried resetting & restarting, but still have dark screen. There is no way I can watch anything.

Tanner, I have the tcl Roku tv, so there is no stick. I do not have an internet cable, and my tv is plugged directly into the wall; there is no power strip. Still black screen. Also bought mine in 2016. Reset, restarted & turned power off for few minutes; still dark. Turned power off for 10-15, turned back on & now have perfect picture.

0 Kudos

It's the HDR settings built into the TV that cannot be turned off. I have a brand new Hisense Roku TV and some shows that are not optimized for HDR content are extremely dark and unwatchable. Ozark is one of those shows. On my TV when I turn the show on, the color is great for a split second , then I'll see an HDR message pop up like it's turning on, then the screen goes dark.

ROKU needs to let people turn off the HDR feature. 

Tags (1)
Duper24
Reel Rookie

I have same problem, just switched all cords and tv from Roku 4, never a problem on this device. To a brand new Roku ultra, no tv goes so dark it’s hard to watch. HDMI cable works fine when swapped to other devices, restart sometimes fixes for a while. Problem is with the Roku device. Roku please fix this ! First time I have ever been disappointed with something from you.

OTTO12345
Reel Rookie

Please, if you  don't have a solution then SHUT UP!

tttchatterbox
Reel Rookie

That's not correct. Not in my case. I can watch Ozark just fine. It happens sometimes and the whole television dims - as in, even on the home screen. I'm sure there's something failing, but this wasn't a very expensive TV, so I'll use it until it stops working. 

0 Kudos
n8isjck

Did you figure this out? Im having issues with our new tv

0 Kudos
OTTO12345
Reel Rookie

I unplugged the TV when I went out on an errand. When I got back and plugged it in it has worked fine ever since.

Grlsyko

We just bought a TCL Roku a few mo the ago or so. Everything looked good until I played an episode and everything was dark with anything white being black, super weird. Anyways tried a few things and finally when I was on Netflix I hit the options and changed the video and it only showed normal brightness and color when I put it on movie and was blacked out on vivid and the others. Cheap tv so if this works I’m good with it and maybe it will work for others since I didn’t notice anyone mention this. 

rj64

I just bought a new 65" TCL 3 days ago and both netflix and amazon prime went dark same issue. I unplugged the power and it worked again. Just wondering if I should return the TV since it's less than a week old.

0 Kudos