Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the picture on my TV screen dark / dim?

My Roku was working well with no display issues. I paused it, then pushed play and suddenly the screen is a lot darker and I can barely see the Roku menu or TV shows or setting, ect. What to do?

68 REPLIES 68
boogernose
Roku Guru

Re: Why is the picture on my TV screen dark / dim?

Thats bizarre I'd expect a problem like that to be in the TV's settings but try:

Settings. > System > System restart

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
Kaivika
Channel Surfer

does anyone out there have this problem with 2016 roku tv?

Losaltos

I have the same problem.  Have tried restarting TV and Roku stick.  Sometimes that fixes the issue for a brief period, but then the dark image issue (sometimes in bands and sections of the screen, sometimes the entire screen) recurs.  DVD player to the TV seems to work fine, so I think it is the Roku.  I would also love some advice on this beyond the basics of restart/reboot.  🙂

Tags (1)
ggaabe

We are having a similar issue. The menus and even video previews in Netflix appear perfectly. Actual video playback in all channels is nearly black.

RokuTannerD
Retired Moderator

@Losaltos @ggaabe Thanks for the notes. It's possible that there could be an issue with the HDMI port affecting the display picture, a power issue, etc. There are a few things to try here to see if this helps: 

• Try connecting you Roku device to a different HDMI port on the TV, and then playing content again.
  • (If applicable) Try using a different/new HDMI cable to connect your device to your TV. You might also try cleaning the HDMI port used to connect the device with canned air to remove dust or dirt. Worn out, dirty, or damaged/bent cables, or dirty/dusty HDMI ports may cause unexpected behavior.
  • If your device is connected to your TV for power via a USB port (Streaming Stick models), try plugging it into power using the included wall adapter.
  • If your device is connected to a power strip or other power splitter, try connecting it directly to a wall outlet to see if this helps clear up the issue. 

Keep us posted from there if you need further help. 

Thanks,

Tanner

tttchatterbox
Reel Rookie

Yes, I bought mine in 2016 and it's just becoming an issue now. It's usually when I turn it off (on accident) then go to turn it right back on again. I don't know what to do about it except shutting off again for a few minutes, then turning on. It usually goes back to normal screen after a couple tries. I doubt there's a fix for it. 

KandC

Ours is exactly the same, and it's a tv with built in roku, not HDMI ported

Pbaj123

Same exact problem with a 2016 roku TV.  Can hardly make out the picture, picture is also flickering every so often.  Reboot doesnt help. **bleep** backlight?  This TVs been goofy out of the box.

tttchatterbox
Reel Rookie

Usually turning off and on helps. The last time (maybe two days ago?), it didn't. I ended up just unplugging it from the wall. That worked, but I don't think the TV is long for this world. How long are these lower end TVs supposed to last anyway?