Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Why Won't Roku Channel Stream as Well as Every Other Outlet?

I have a very fast WiFi connection, and usually have no problems with streaming video on my iMac. However, that is, unless I try to watch Roku content, then it either stalls while buffering, or looks more like a slide show when it does play, as instead of motion, it's just dialogue with a progression of static images!  Why is it so hard to stream?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Why Won't Roku Channel Stream as Well as Every Other Outlet?

Hi @StevenCee

Thank you for the inquiry!

Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

@RokuLianna  Maybe you missed my saying this occurs when watching Roku on my Mac, not a Roku TV or box. It streams fine on my Roku TV, but unlike every other site I watch streams from, those on the Roku website don't work half the time! Jittery buffering stalls & slowed so much it's more like a slideshow is what happens.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Any ideas as to how to improve the streaming on a computer?  I have a very fast WiFi connection, and plenty of memory, yet it constantly pauses to buffer, or plays very jittery. Why is it not working as it should?

0 Kudos
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

@StevenCee 

Thanks for following up. 

We understand that you experience a playback issue when streaming The Roku Channel on the website. Have you tried using a different browser to see if there's any difference? You may also try to clear the cache of the browser you are using to check if it helps. 

Let us know what you find out.

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Now, I see, there is a Reply button, so I can try again. Do you see my previous message? If so, my response is there. And it's still streaming in a jerky fashion, as if I'm on dial-up, instead of 300+ Mbps Wifi...

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hello @StevenCee 

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community regarding the issue you are experiencing.

Have you tried using another browser to see if you are experiencing the same issue? In addition, have you tried clearing your browser cache to see if that helps?

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Yes, I've done both, and it still won't stream without either jerkiness or constant buffering, requiring me to refresh the window about every 15 minutes...

0 Kudos
RokuTakashi
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @StevenCee,

Thanks for keeping us updated!

Rest assured that we'll investigate this issue further to resolve it. Kindly provide the following information as a start:

• Brand, Model, and OS version of your computer/laptop.
  • Browser used to access the website.
  • A video of the buffering issues when streaming.

We would appreciate your response so we can work on the issue.

All the best,
Kash

Takashi O.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Hello Takashi,

I'm watching on an Apple iMac, running OS 11.7.8, and tonight I'm using the most recent Firefox, but this has also occurred with Safari, & Opera, & maybe Brave as well. I always use the most up-to-date version of whatever browser I use. Also, I have a high-speed WiFi connection (300+Mbps), and also a Roku TV, which doesn't have this problem, so it's unlikely to be a WiFi issue, or the TV would be buffering all the time, as it's definitely not as high-speed as my computer.

I've also noticed, that sometimes, like right now, it will stop and just buffer (spinning blue circle) at every commercial break! I try refreshing the window, but often, I just have to wait until the commercials are done, and then refresh, for it to play. But it will also end up buffering even during the shows, but more often shows will just be slowed down to the point it's just very jerky & jittery, almost like it's still pictures playing quickly.

I don't know that taking a video of this will shed any further light on this, as we all know what either a blank screen or stopped show, with a spinning blue circle. It just totally freezes, and spins, or it might keep playing but very slowed down and jittery.

0 Kudos