Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rdlaub
Streaming Star

Warranty Replacement for Malfunctioning Streaming Stick

I have a Roku Streaming Stick 4K which is still under warranty and is malfunctioning.  I contacted customer support and they agreed that I am eligible for a replacement.  However, they are asking me to first send back the old one and once received they will ship a new one.  Although this Roku stick is glitchy I still rely on it for my viewing and by having to send this one back first, it leaves me with no way to watch my TV while waiting for my old one to first be received and then a new one sent out and then received by me.  I also find it disturbing that I am expected to pay for shipping the old one back as opposed to receiving a pre-paid shipping label as most manufacturers will do.

Is it not possible to have a new one sent and when I receive it,  I will send back the old one.  I would also appreciate return shipping being provided since I have a defective item.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Strega
Roku Guru

Re: Warranty Replacement for Malfunctioning Streaming Stick

Some companies will pay for shipping but many will not.  At least Roku does spell all this out on their warranty page. Keep in mind, that reasonably intelligent companies include all costs when setting a retail price.  Ie: (cost of shipping, cost of the replacement, etc.) times the expected probability of returns was added into the original price. So longer and cushier return policies are “nice” but usually also somewhat “expensive”. (Or to put it another way, you “win” if you use them, but “lose” if you don’t.)

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@rdlaub 

Although I see where you are coming from, sometimes need to balance principle over practicality.

Currently, the Streaming Stick 4k is on sale for $25 on both the Roku site and in Walmart.   Best Buy is also running early Black Friday deals with the Stick for $25 and the newer Express 3960 for $18.

I am not sure what your shipping cost is to return the device under warranty, but it may just be easier to buy a new one.  (If the shipping was $10, in reality, the new device would really theoretically cost you $15 more just to have a brand new device.)

Alternatively, if you purchased the $25 Streaming Stick 4k, you would have a spare to watch while waiting for your replacement and basically end up having an extra remote and device next time an issue arises.  A couple of benefits by taking advantage of the existing offers.

Personally, I would send in the defective Roku for replacement and pick up another device on sale while waiting through the warranty process.  Likely less of a headache and disruption for you in the end.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Streaming-Stick-4K-Streaming-Device-4K-HDR-Dolby-Vision-with-Voice-R...

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-streaming-stick-4k

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=roku&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&typ...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

rdlaub
Streaming Star

Thank you for your response.  I understand what you are saying but it just seems that it would be easy enough to send the new one first and if they don't receive the old one back, just charge my credit card.

0 Kudos
rdlaub
Streaming Star

Thanks.  I may have muddied the issue by including shipping costs here.  My real issue is having to send ny old one back in first before I get my new one.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@rdlaub wrote:

Thank you for your response.  I understand what you are saying but it just seems that it would be easy enough to send the new one first and if they don't receive the old one back, just charge my credit card.

Unfortunately this scenario is all too common.

I just went through the same thing with a cell phone purchased directly from Samsung.  Since I am nowhere near an authorized Samsung repair facility, my only option was to return the defective one and wait for it to be repaired or replaced and shipped back to me.  I just ended up foregoing the warranty and paying to have it repaired locally in two days. 

Lesson learned:  Sometimes its better to buy things locally with a good return policy that buying it directly from the manufacturer.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
rdlaub
Streaming Star

Unfortunate.  Especially in the interest of customer retention since there are other options.

0 Kudos