Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Re: Volume of ads is unreasonably high

Hi @mileswhedbee,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? What channel are you watching when this occurs and the specific ad that was playing too loudly?

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

RussB

I have been dealing with the loud commercials for a WHILE! And I FINALLY found the fix! Put on the show you want to stream, and play the show. As it plays, hit the "*" button (A menu should pop up). Next, hit "Sound Settings" then "Sound Mode". Change the mode to "Speech". The commercials should now be the same volume as your show! I hope this helps this long-time issue!

JeradB

I just tried it and long last I don't have to try and remember to turn it down when commercials come on. THANKYOU!!!!!

0 Kudos
JStif3411

I have read the audio FIX but can not find the LEVEL on my settings so I still can't adjust the ad's issue. I don't know if I have a older roku model but I still think this is a issue that should be able to be fixed somehow.

The ad's are a issue that I find very offensive and makes me not want to purchase any of the items they advertise. 

jamesgerboc
Channel Surfer

It’s not specific to any channel or commercial. I am now watching Sunday Morning on CBS News and it’s every commercial. But it also happens while watching the Golf Channel. Why does the content matter? Why doesn’t leveling work? Why is this permitted? If listening with headphones we are vulnerable to ear damage. 

jamesgerboc
Channel Surfer

Leveling feature seems to make no difference. The volume level of ads is at least 3x higher than the content. Leveling needs to be revised to handle that much difference. 

jamesgerboc
Channel Surfer

Was this ever resolved? It seems to possibly be TV specific. My TV with a soundbar is ridiculously louder for commercials. My other TV without a soundbar is not near as extreme. Both are using a Roku stick.  I don’t think the leveling function is designed for extreme differences, although it shouldn’t be difficult for Roku to change. Afterall, they take over control of volume via the remote. 

kahoolie
Reel Rookie

No "Leveling" on my TCL Roku audio settings.  Maybe Roku needs to put "Leveling" back into the audio settings menu. The Advertisement volume is so much higher that it must be illegal. The Insignia TV this replaced was not as bad. I can contact the FCC if that is needed. 

kahoolie
Reel Rookie

I tried all Roku audio modes with/without external speakers, the adv are always much louder. The "*" trick for audio within Hulu just shows Normal mode with no ability to change it. 

Natan-Roku
Retired Moderator

Hi @kahoolie, we see that you're having issues with the volume level from ads. We understand that it can complicate streaming, so let's dig into this issue.

For some Roku devices, specific sound settings will have to be configured since not all Roku devices support volume modes. Here's a link that can help adjust other settings on your Roku device and determine if yours has volume modes:

https://support.roku.com/article/226802507

Please feel free to PM us if your issue persists. We're here to help!