Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Volume goes up or down by itself. Problem on two different TV's

Hi @cococr

Welcome to the Roku Community. 

We're here to help with the volume issue you're experiencing on your Roku device. To clarify, did you attempt the previous suggestion to determine if your Roku device is capable of Automatic Volume Leveling, which provides more consistent audio levels across different types of entertainment, making it less disruptive when a commercial appears or when changing channels?

To learn more, you may refer to this link: How to use volume modes on your Roku streaming device

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.

Regards,
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

I couldn't find automatic volume leveling settings.  To be clear, I get the commercial free Hulu but there is still a short pause where the commercial would have been inserted.  After the pause the volume is lower every time during Shark Tank and sometimes on other shows.  I pause it and restart it and the volume level is back up.

0 Kudos
cococr
Reel Rookie

Hi Nimfa,

The Automatic Volume Leveling setting (accessed through YoutubeTV channel) is "Off".  Should I try one of the other settings ("Leveling") and see if a similar issue occurs?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

I did finally find the settings.  Leveling was on so I turned it off.  I'll let you know if it fixed the problem.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @cococr,

Thanks for following up about your Roku device with the volume issue.

We suggest pressing the * button on the remote, going to "Volume Mode" and setting it to "Off". Have you tried this troubleshooting step to fix the audio issue?

Does this clear up the issue you are experiencing? Please keep us posted.

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Mikeyy,

Thanks for the response.

Please keep us updated if following these steps resolves the audio issue you are experiencing.

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you further if needed. Thank you!

Best regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
kentf
Channel Surfer

I have volume leveling set to off and I still get the issue. Volume dropped twice. Yesterday, when I was out of the room, the volume went all the way up to the point it was distorting and I had to exit out of the channel on Xfinity Stream and reselect it to return the volume to normal. I recorded a video of that event but the video is large. I have it on iCloud and will paste a link here because I think you will be able to see it.

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcvws.icloud-content.com%2FB%2FAbg7SGveXiq0c3aQNPw...

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi Community users,

Thanks for the posts regarding the issue you are experiencing with volume going up or down by itself.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. If you have not already, can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
  • is the audio level heard changing when the issue occurs, or is it the actually volume level that is shown on screen changing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

I've already done all that.

0 Kudos
cococr
Reel Rookie

Hi Danny,

Here are the details from my setup:

• Model: 4660X - Roku Ultra
  • Serial Number: YJ00DL383360
  • Device ID: CK485D383360
  • Software Version: 11.5.0 build 4312-46
  • Channel: YouTube TV - 2.22 build 110005571
  • Tracker ID: 60-096-625
  • Volume Mode for the channel is "Off"

Steps to reproduce:

• Watch a station on YouTube TV (we tend to notice it happens more on WeTV, but has happened on others)
  • At random the audio will either raise or lower in level.  It seems to lower if the scene is relatively quiet and raise if there is more noise in a scene

The audio level is what we observe changing. The volume level of the TV has not been changed.  Changing to a different station and returning to the original resets the audio level to normal.

0 Kudos