Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuNimfa-C
Retired Moderator

Re: Volume goes up or down by itself. Problem on two different TV's

@Mikeyy

Thanks for the update. 

Have you tried adjusting the volume modes during playback? If not, we suggest you give it a shot and see how it goes. Follow the steps below: 

1. Begin streaming content, or to adjust audio settings for a device connected to your Roku TV and wireless speakers, switch the active input to the external device.
  2. Press Star on your Roku remote
  3. Select Sound settings
    • Note: On some Roku devices, this step is not necessary. If you do not see this selection, skip to step 4.
  4. Use the directional pad to switch the Volume mode to the desired setting. The directional pad is plus-shaped and is in the center of your Roku remote.
    • Note: In some streaming channels, Star is assigned a different function meaning it will not open the Options menu as described above. In these cases, you must launch a different channel, such as The Roku Channel, and follow the steps above. Once the volume mode is switched, the setting will remain when you return to the original channel.

Hope this works. Keep us posted. 

Regards, 
Nimfa

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

Thanks for the reply.  I think I can say at this point that the problem is only with the HULU channel.  So no global sound setting is going to help that I don't think.  Any other ideas?  I know I'm not the only one with this problem.  I am running the newest version of the Hulu app.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mikeyy

Thank you for the inquiry!

Have you tried removing the affected channel HULU and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

I tried that and it didn't make any difference.  

0 Kudos

I have noticed exactly the same thing with two of my TVs. I have 3 TVs in total. A big screen LG that has a cable box and no issues. The other two are a Samsung and LG and both have Roku devices and mostly use the Xfinity Streaming App. I noticed it just a few months ago as well. So it seems there may be an issue with the Roku streaming device. It must have been from an update (my best guess?). I was literally about to buy two new TVs thinking the speakers were going out or the TV was going bad. Had my parents over, who also have a Roku and they said they are having the same exact issues. It can’t be coincidence. We need support @Roku, and we need some answers, please!

Mikeyy
Streaming Star

Any further advice?

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Mikeyy

Thanks for the information provided.

If this issue is only happening with Hulu channel, I'd recommend reaching out to the channel provider directly to report the issue and request additional support. Many channels on the Roku platform are developed and maintained by the channel provider directly, and they'll be able to best assist. If other channels are working correctly, and you only experience this issue on this channel (app), that is likely an indication that the issue lies within that particular channel. In these cases, the channel provider will need to investigate the issue in order to help resolve it.

You can reach them here: https://help.hulu.com/s/?language=en_US

Best regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

I'll try contacting them.

0 Kudos
cococr
Reel Rookie

I have been experiencing a similar issue with our Roku Ultra where the volume either goes down or up randomly.  I am typically using YoutubeTV when we notice it, but I believe it has happened once or twice with a different channel.

When my wife and I experience it, she is often watching something on WeTV.  If the output volume of what is airing is low (silence or near silence in a scene) when the problem occurs, it tends to cause the volume to go lower.  If it is loud (action, yelling) the volume tends to go higher.

Our method for fixing it is to switch to a different YoutubeTV station or go back and reload the station.  I wasn't sure if it was Roku or YoutubeTV (or a combination of both) that might be causing the problem.  I haven't observed a similar issue when using YoutubeTV on a different device (tablet, PC).

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

Our definitely is on Hulu.  It happens after where the commercial break would be if we didn't have commercial free. And the really strange thing is it happens constantly on Shark Tank and occasionally on other shows.

0 Kudos