Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kentf
Channel Surfer

Volume goes up or down by itself

I have the same problem on two different TV's and Roku devices. The problem started on both TV's about 3 months ago.

Roku Streambar 2A10CD012475 on an LG TV

Roku Ultra  KW9992249882 on a Sony TV

I experience the same on both devices.

Most of the time I am using the Xfinity Stream Roku app but it happens on other channels too.

It happens after the TV has been on for a while. The volume will drop but not all the way off, maybe down to the equivalent of 12 setting , or the other scenario is the volume will go all the way up to the point it distorts,  To resolve I back out of the channel I am watching and go right back in and the volume will be normal. I removed the Xfinity app and did a system restart on both devices and still have the problem. Sometimes it won't happen for a couple days and other times I will get it 2 or 3 times a day.

Kent

47 REPLIES 47
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

Re: Volume goes up or down by itself. Problem on two different TV's

I have the same problem with a Samsung tv.  I have to pause the streaming show and then unpause it.  This returns the volume to where I had it but I have to do this every few minutes.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@kentf @Mikeyy

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into the issue further, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Tabby2

I have exact same problem and resolve by rewind for a second also. Did you get it fixed? If so how?

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

That's what I've been doing but I have to do it every 5-10 minutes.  It's pretty frustrating.

I contacted Roku and got a reply asking me for lots of information from the Roku screen.  I'll be sending them the info tomorrow.

I'll let you know what I find out.  I just sent the original question to Roku yesterday or today and am really surprised how fast they responded.

Mikeyy
Streaming Star

I paid a little more attention last night when it happened.  I was watching Shark Tank on Hulu and it happened mostly after where the commercials would have been inserted.  I think it happened other places also but I'm not positive.  Last night was the first time it's happened in a while and I do watch Hulu a lot.  I'm think that it happens only when I'm watching Shark Tank only but I could be wrong.  Has that been your experience?

I forwarded the information to Roku just now that they wanted so I'll see what happens.

0 Kudos
RokuKarla
Retired Moderator

Hello @Mikeyy

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community!

Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Does the issue only occur on a specific channel or all channels on your Roku device? May we ask what troubleshooting steps have been taken?

We suggest also checking this page for tips and troubleshooting steps for this type of issue: How to use volume modes on your Roku streaming device

Regards,
Karla

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

The problem happened last night while watching Hulu.  I’m not sure but it may always happen when I am watching Shark Tank on Hulu and always happened after the show came back after where the commercial would have been inserted.  This is not the only place it happened but it did happen every time at those point.

Hulu

Version 6.66 • build o

Issue report tracker

Model: 4800X - Roku Ultra

Software version: 11.5.0 • build 4312-C2

Timestamp: 2023-01-30T02:33:51Z

Please use issue ID DE-041-913 to report the current issue.

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @Mikeyy,

Thanks for the post.

Please be advised that not all Roku devices support volume leveling or Volume Modes. If your Roku is compatible, you may find this setting by following the steps below:

• Press the Home button on your Roku remote.
  • Scroll up or down and select Settings.
  • Select Audio.
  • Select Volume modes.
    • Leveling: Enables consistent volume across different types of entertainment so you do not have to change the volume every time you switch channels or a commercial comes on.

For more information, this support article may help: How to use volume modes on your Roku® streaming device | Official Roku Support.

We hope this helps!

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
Mikeyy
Streaming Star

My roku is a Roku Ultra so I would think it would have that option but it doesn't.  Also, I was watching a different program last night on Hulu and it definitely does it after the commercial breaks every time.  I have the Hulu version without commercials but you can tell where the breaks would be.IMG_3903.jpeg

0 Kudos