Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
POVI

Video freezes but sound continues.

I have a similar problem that just started in past two weeks?? When I am on live TV on any channel and start watching when the first commercial comes on after a few seconds the video freezes but the audio continues. The only work around I have is to unplug Roku device for a few seconds and the video starts again and stays on. This happens on all my TV's and only started recently. This is a Roku problem and they should have a fix. I stream everything on several TV's and have Xfinity service?

I read where Danny from Roku Tech Support wants all this information about TV, Serial number etc. Danny c'mon just hook up one of your Roku devices to a TV at the office and you will see the problem? Like you don't know there is a problem already! Obviously Roku did something or allowed something to deteriorate unintentionally? Roku please fix the problem!!

12 REPLIES 12
JCII
Binge Watcher

Re: Video freezes but sound continues.

Apparently ROKU has some major software problems, because there are a huge number of users experiencing the same problems.

My question is why haven’t they just gone back to the last version of software that worked while they debug or better yet start version 11.5.0 over, better get it right this time.
I don’t know if the people that have their video freeze and audio continue are just watching a stream and it freezes, or if they are watching a recording.

My problems with freezing are when I am watching a recording, and I either jump or fast forward through a commercial. Sometimes the video is frozen and the audio continues. The other most annoying problem is that most of the time, when I go back to Continue watching that video, it starts back at the beginning. This is more annoying than the frozen video, because when I fast forward to where I left off and start to watch, the video is frozen. If I were to watch the video without any jump or fast forwarding the video plays fine all the way through.

The starting over May actually be a sling problem. My other apps don’t have commercials.

I just bought 2 4K sticks and an extra remote a week ago, and I am almost almost ready to pack them up and send them to the president of the company.
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@POVI @JCII

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rfattore

I'm having same freeze problem. Serial no. SO7P21AJGYRX

model#3941X

0 Kudos
rfattore

This all all occurs with this Stick model 3820X and serial SO8Y422K93W6. It doesn't matter what channel.

Have to always go to systems>settings see if there is software update and re attempt. Very frustrating. I will not promote Roku to friends unless this situation is resolved

SissonAds
Reel Rookie

Count me in for the same issue. Plus out of synch audio. Plus and grinding/grating sound with a lot of hiss and no audio track at all.

It happened on a brand new Ultra. Then I replaced it and it happened again.

Ready to dump Roku which I love, which before this was trouble-free.

0 Kudos
Bertrell

I too have experienced this issue upon USB (stick) playback on two different Roku TVs over the past month or so.

Specifically the freezing during playback. When it stops, the audio stops as well.

This happens when watching antenna/OTA shows.  All I can say is I've had these TVs for at least a year and this is a new behavior.

The controls on the remote still work, but the only way to continue viewing the recording is by fast-forwarding and hitting play/pause.  You can never truly resume from exactly where you left off, and if you try to rewind and watch again, it still freezes in the same spot.

This doesn't happen when watching streaming channels--only on the live tv input.

I've generated the issue report tracker for this incident, and will be forwarding soon with whatever other information that's requested.

0 Kudos
LadyDay5

I am having the same issue for the past couple of months on both Televisions where I use a Roku stick.  Please provide a resolution.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

We are having the same problem other users describe and I agree it is most frustrating.  When we watch recordings and we want to fast forward is when the video freezes and the audio continues so I'll back up out of library and then go back into program.  It happens on local channels and recordings. We have 3 roku sticks.  We have factory reset 2 and it still happened so we bought a new one.  Guess what ... the same thing happens on the new one.  We may have to ditch roku (which we love).  This was not a problem for a year.  Now its a daily issue.  Please fix so we can enjoy the streaming.

0 Kudos
OldGuy1944
Reel Rookie

Today, watching TVLand channel on Spectrum, (Golden Girls,) I noted two times when video was black but sound continued.  (My noted issues yesterday were the video freezing on the last frame of a commercial, but today I wasn't the one watching, so can't say whether the frozen screens today were last frame of a commercial.  Again, changing the Spectrum channel, without leaving Spectrum, caused video to resume. 

The failed-to-resume video seems unrelated to user input, since it happened minutes after any user action.

Issue report tracker #1:

Model: 3820X - Streaming Stick 4K.  Serial number: X0170049ML22 (S-8Y4249ML22)

Software version: 11.5.0 * build 4235-CU. 

Timestamp:  2022-12-18T19:46:02Z .  Issue ID 22-506-626

Issue report tracker #2:  same as above, except:

Timestamp:  2022-12-18T19:59:25Z .  Issue ID 22-506-639

----------------------

Please advise when fix is available, thanks.

0 Kudos