Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HelenaB

Unwanted English language dubbing over a foreign language series.

Norwegian language dialogue in a Norwegian drama series on HBO Max (“Welcome to Utmark”) is dubbed in English on our Roku TCL television ONLY, but not on an iPhone, iPad, or Windows-driven laptop. We can find no way to reset the audio to Norwegian, either in the Roku settings or the HBO settings.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unwanted English language dubbing over a foreign language series.

Some programs contain multiple audio tracks that can be selected, such as different languages or verbal action descriptions for the visually impaired.

The Roku default method of accessing your choice of audio track is to press the * key on your Roku remote while viewing the program and examining the options presented.  

But more and more channels are not using the Roku default but substituting their own method of access -- I'm guessing this is so they will have consistent controls with versions of their app running on platforms other than Roku.  Often these options are accessed by pressing the up and/or down cursor control keys while viewing the program to pop the channel's own control options on the screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
Vachon321
Streaming Star

Nothing works. HBO Max app on ROKU is garbage. I do not want to watch foreign programs with horrid English dubbing. Please advise how to fix this???? You no longer have the option to change the language.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That's out of Roku's control.  Try contacting HBO, but I doubt you'll get anywhere.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Denirose
Reel Rookie

Press the asterisk [*] on the Roku control while watching the program. Select “Accessibility & Captions.” Select “Audio Track.” Select “norsk.”