Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chucon
Channel Surfer

Unable to select channel on Home screen

Jump to solution

Starting last night I am unable to select any channels from the Home screen. The channel selection highlight box defaults to the first channel, (I have 40 channels), and that's the ONLY channel I can choose from Home. I am unable to move the box to any other channel. To select a different channel I must leave the Home screen and move to Streaming Channels, Roku Channels, or Search. Everything but the Home screen works. I have power-cycled the Ultra and re-paired the remote control. Any ideas?

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Unable to select channel on Home screen Attn: RokuDanny-R

Jump to solution

@chucon

Thanks for the post.

We would recommend checking now to see if you are able to update to the latest OS at this time.

Please keep us posted what you find out and we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

47 REPLIES 47
PawPawRon
Streaming Star

Re: Unable to select channel on Home screen

Jump to solution

Edit approx 5 hours after the below posted reply - I wanted to add that I have a "wired" connection to the Roku unit and the connection was tested in at 79 bps. The unit is approximately 3 years and 3 months old. Also replaced good tested batteries with brand new tested batteries in the remote but as I stated in my initial post reply, the generic remote reacts basically the same as the Roku remote. (end of edit)

1. Same issues same Ultra Roku except mine shows 4670X (x at the end)
2. Began last evening (11 Jan 23) performed "Multiple" restarts
3. Peformed Factory Reset - did remote pairing - checked ALL connections - unplugged for a few minutes, no change
4. Unplugged Roku ULtra overnight for a period of 8 hours or so - same condition
5. Did another restart - no change
6. Did another factory reset - removed SD card (currently have it removed) - no change
7. Did another unplugging and restart and left it sit for 1/2 hour or so - was able to move around menu and began deleting unused APPs
8. Turned TV off, back on, same issue "again"
9. It "IS NOT" the remote as I have a generic remote set up for roku and it too will not move thru the menu apps as it should

chucon
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Here's an update. The problem persisted all day yesterday (Thursday). At 10:30 pm EST I happened to be looking at a Roku system settings page and the screen flickered for an instant. I returned to Home and, lo and behold, I was able to navigate it in the normal fashion. I checked software version and build and nothing had changed. Alas, when I checked this morning Home was broken again.

PawPawRon
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks for your update!

I just checked ours and it is still malfunctioning on the home screen as we have described here. When I have time later today I am going to put in a ticket with their support at https://support.roku.com/contactus/email-form - if you decide to do the same thing or use their chat, I would suggest having all the steps you have already tried to rectify typed up in notepad or other word processor so you can simply copy and paste them into the chat box or email. Save the document you have them typed in so you do not have to keep retyping them.

You may also wish to get your model number and any other identifying numbers in the "About" screen of your settings menu ready as they will most likely ask you for them as well.

Just for comparison, our software version is 10.5.0 Build 4208-46 - I am thinking it might have something to do with Roku adding new channels in the past 24-48 hours? It would appear that continuing to post here will not be getting any results so going to their support page may be the better option. I also intend to post the issue to any Roku forums on Facebook later today if it is not resolved.

Good luck and if you do get it fixed, please post back what they/you had to do to get it done.

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@PawPawRon, your software version is way behind.  You should be on 11.5.  That may be part of your problem.  Was your Ultra software version ever rolled back to fix some issue at your request?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Yes, there was a manual roll back in November 2021 due to an update that affected quite a few people, as I recall. When I do a software update check, it states the unit is up to date? It is strange that the software would be the issue since this "new" problem just started two days ago.

0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Contacted Roku support yesterday with the details as I have outlined here - they responded this morning with the following - my follow up comments back to them follow:

Thank you for contacting Roku customer support. I understand that you are unable to select the channels home screen but it goes to the home page.

It might occur due to an interference issue.

Please try the steps below and check if it works:

1) Unplug Roku from the wall outlet
2) Press and hold the pairing button on the voice pro remote for 20 seconds
3) Reconnect the Roku to the wall outlet, once you see Roku Jumping Roku wait for 10 secs, if the remote is not getting paired then press and hold the pairing button for 5 seconds
4) Once the remote is paired, press home>scroll down remote and devices>remote in use> setup for TV control

For more information, please visit the link given below for further clarification:
https://support.roku.com/en-us/article/1500000696321 (Learn about Voice Remote Pro)
https://support.roku.com/en-us/article/208755708 (Fix your remote)

If the issue persists, kindly share the following details:

1. If possible can you please try connecting the remote with another device and try to connect the other remote with this device to check if the issue is with the remote or a device?
  2. May I know if are you using a voice remote or a voice remote pro?

Thank you for choosing Roku. Have a nice day!

My reply to the above suggestions follows:

OK, I did all the tests you suggested despite my insistence that this is "not" a remote issue and the tests proved I was correct. Our ULTRA unit remote has Model RC-EL3 on the inside of the battery cabinet but on the TV about setting it states Model RC506 - not that it makes a difference since I proved it is not the remote.

1. I paired the Ultra voice remote with our Sharp Roku TV and it worked perfectly - I was able to navigate the home menu apps as I should be.

2. As I stated previously, I have a TERK generic remote that was programmed for the ULTRA unit and when I am on the Home Screen app menu I have the "same" issues as the Roku Voice Remote.

Just for reference, the voice remote and button functions "work" on "every" screen "except" the home screen. As I stated before, on the home screen it hangs on the APP in the upper left side of the menu--you cannot go up or down and if you try to go to the app to the right it jumps you to the Big Ad they have on the right of the screen.

If no further ideas are forthcoming, I will simply deal with using the voice until I decide to either replace the roku with another brand or go back to using the apps on the TV.

Please advise if you have any further suggestions?

0 Kudos
PawPawRon
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

It would be great if  @RokuDanny-R would read this post and the other one I referred you to above but it is doubtful based on my latest reply from the email support. 

Basically they stated "It seems to be an issue with the hardware of the device." and offered a discount to purchase a new unit.

As I have stated previously, our unit is only 3 years and 2 months old and the only issue is the inability to navigate the Roku home menu. We will continue to use as-is because even with the discount they offered, we would be spending more money to replace the current unit than we paid to buy it on a special after Thanksgiving sale in 2019. When it or the remote finally give out completely then we will look at other streaming devices. I understand Comcast is coming out with their own device to compete with Roku later this year so that may be an option.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@PawPawRon 

Thanks for the post.

As @renojim mentioned, you are on a very old OS which can possibly be why you are experiencing this issue as the previous OS was 11.0 and you are still on OS 10.5.

Can you please provide the device serial number/device ID on your Roku device and we can make sure your Roku device is updated to the latest OS.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@chucon

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos