Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CursedLattice
Channel Surfer

Ultra Lt 4801rw auto refresh rate no longer works after update to 11.0

I recently purchased a new ultra lt 4801rw about 3 weeks ago. When I first setup the unit it was using software version 10.5 and I had set the auto refresh rate feature to on. It was working normally until the recent update to 11.0. Now I am having issues with the refresh rate as well as videos not playing or only getting audio but no video. It also appears to output in color space 4:2:2 even when I have 4:2:0 selected. I have tried rebooting the system as well as a hard factory reset with no luck. I have also made sure to update all apps after the OS update. If I cannot find a solution I will likely return this unit and possibly go to an Nvidia shield pro.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
CursedLattice
Channel Surfer

Re: Ultra Lt 4801rw auto refresh rate no longer works after update to 11.0

After looking into this further I found the auto detect refresh rate works with certain apps and not with others, actually most apps, after the update. Youtube and prime videos work normally but apps such as netflix, hbomax, Apple tv, discovery+, hulu, etc. will not play the native refresh rate. They are either stuck. At 60hz or 30hz depending on messing with display settings. I have a 2016 lg oled which only supports Dolby Vision at 30hz so when setting display to auto detect it wants to output 1080 DV. If I force 4k DV most apps work but netflix only outputs 1080. If I force 4k hdr everything works but I lose DV. I believe if the native refresh rate was working with Netflix it may allow me to use 4k DV setting but not certain. If anyone else is experiencing this that would be great to know.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@CursedLattice

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue for you but will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing
-relevant screenshots that will allow us to better understand what you are experiencing

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate and assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
CursedLattice
Channel Surfer

Hello Danny,

Thank you for your response. Here is some of the info you asked for:

Model: 4801RW-Roku Ultra

Software Ver.: 11.0.0 build 4193-DE

As far as the serial number and device ID, is that considered safe to give out on a public forum?

Currently the issue seems to happen with multiple channels/apps. Just to make sure my issue is clear, it has to do with the feature in advanced display setting, auto-adjust display refresh rate. When this feature is on, it should allow the content to play at its native refresh rate, ie. 24fps, 30fps, 60fps, etc. At this point I have found youtube, Amazon prime, plex, and possibly discovery+ to work properly. I am not certain about discovery+ because I do not know if they have any 24fps content. As for apps such as Netflix, Hbomax, hulu, disney+, and apple tv do not appear to change the refresh rate to the content being watched. I have tested this by watching content within each app while knowing what the refresh rate of that content should be and comparing it to how it is being displayed. From the research I have done, it appears it may not be a roku issue as I first suspected. It sounds like the owner of the app chooses whether or not to allow the auto refresh rate function to work in the first place. This is incredibly frustrating as the user should have the choice of how the refresh rate should be displayed, however it is not an issue on Roku's end. I appreciate any further feedback but I believe there is not much that can be done unless these companies decide to allow the feature to work.

Apple TV: Ver 9.0 build 105

Hulu: Ver 6.59 build 0

Hbomax: 52.20 build 11

Netflix: Ver 5.3 build 98096087

Disney +: Ver 1.21 build 2022041900

Thanks

0 Kudos