Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jtconte
Channel Surfer

Ultra 4800R HDCP Error

I purchased and installed the Ultra 4800R on 01/16/21. It replaced a 4630. My system uses an AVR and so all source devices connect to it via HDMI and a single HDMI to the TV. All of the HDMI cables are Audioquest Chocolate. Worked perfectly for about 2 weeks, including 4K HDR from Disney Plus and Netflix, and then after turning the system on one day, an HDCP error 020 screen. Following the directions, disconnected power from the TV, AVR and 4800R, disconnected and reconnected all the HDMI cables. That worked for about a week. After a few more of these ordeals over about a month, I replaced the HDMI cable between the 4800R and the AVR with the Roku supplied cable. Worked for about 2 weeks and now I get the HDCP error again! I just did a system reset on the 4800R, no cable disconnect/reconnect, no power disconnect, and am able to watch 4K HDR on Netflix right now! But I know it won’t last! My 4K HDR Blu-ray player has never given an HDCP error. 
If it’s a cable/cable connection issue it should not go away for days/weeks at a time. 
I am not a happy camper. Roku needs to fix this!

Roku Ultra (4800 series) 

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Ultra 4800R HDCP Error

Two common possible solutions:

1) Disable Auto adjust display refresh rate

2) Manually configure Display resolution

Also, report it to Roku (though dont expect any long term fix, persistent/occasional HDCP errors go back years):

chat or email:   https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

0 Kudos
jtconte
Channel Surfer

@StreamerUser wrote:

Two common possible solutions:

1) Disable Auto adjust display refresh rate

2) Manually configure Display resolution

Also, report it to Roku (though dont expect any long term fix, persistent/occasional HDCP errors go back years):

chat or email:   https://support.roku.com/contactus/contact-options

Thanks! The Auto Display Refresh was already disabled. I changed the Display Type from Auto to 4K HDR 60. I will see what happens. Could be weeks but my fingers are crossed that I never see it again!

0 Kudos
jtconte
Channel Surfer

The HDCP error started again last night so it didn’t last long! I’m going to start looking at alternative streaming devices. Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Kudos
EagleGeek
Channel Surfer

Like scores of other Roku Ultra 4800 users, I have fought this battle for weeks. I've swapped out a dozen HDMI cables, many from different manufacturers because that's what this is being blamed on.

I tossed a Chromecast in for awhile with no problem, but some channels had audio sync issues. I want to stay with Roku. (The Chromecast has an attached HDMI cable. It's still possible that the dozen HDCP 2.2 rated HDMI cables I bought to try resolving this problem were all bad. Not likely.

One other test I did was attach the 4800 to an older 1080p T.V, with no other connections. After about 30 min, the HDCP error popped up on that! It is not the cable. I'm convinced it is the device.

I found an Ultra 4680 attached to a different TV and tried moving it back to the theater room. That works with ANY HDMI cable configuration in my theater, even the cheap Amazon Choice branded cables.

I exchanged my 4800 for a replacement. The replacement had the same issue. I am sticking with the Ultra 4680 until a new model comes out, or Roku engineering resolves it.

But there is still that nagging voice in my head telling me to try just one more cable. The worst part is that it can take a week or more for the error to show up.

0 Kudos
EagleGeek
Channel Surfer

So, I must like pain. I purchased yet another HDMI cable. This one specifically spelling out the certifications for HDMI 2.0b, HDCP 2.2, 18Gb speed, and it was more expensive than some. I got 30 min before HDCP error popped up. It was brief and went right back to the show I was watching, but I turned it off and switched back to my 4680.

There is another thread for the Roku 4k Express device. This does not use other cables, but people are having HDCP errors with that. That thread appears to have Roku support asking the community for model numbers if their device is having the problem.

Why aren't we getting the same level of support/concern for the more costly Ultra 4800? All we really get is "try a new cable", or "turn off some functions. Nothing seems to be a long term fix.

0 Kudos
miadlor
Streaming Star

Mine has been happening on two different televisions. Both are 1080p TVs. Consistently multiple times a day. I made a settings change in the hidden Roku HDR settings and I'm going on day two without it popping up at all.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@EagleGeek

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
EagleGeek
Channel Surfer

Thank you for reaching out. I will plug it back in and provide this information when the HDCP error shows back up.

0 Kudos
Winn

I had had the same issue for months. A month or so ago, I turned off Wifi of my out of date 1080p TV and my 4800R has worked fine since.

0 Kudos