Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: Tv screen keeps going black

Hello @lisaj2

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

I would recommend starting with following the troubleshooting steps I posted above to see if that resolves the issue. 

Keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Kmalley
Reel Rookie

I have a Samsung TVs. I went into menu or settings and changed the picture mode to standard instead of dynamic and mine stopped going black

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

I'm having this same issue with one channel in particular on the Roku TV, so I doubt I can delete it and then add it, as it's part of the hundreds of channels already included. It will play for 3-5 minutes, then go black, and I have to either flip to another station, then come back, or wait about a minute or two, and it will continue.

Plus, I've noticed that with this channel (Rakuten VIKI), the shows playing, both the descriptions and times, are out of sync with what the listing in the guide say should be playing!  This is true for some other stations, too. It's especially frustrating, as it's been happening constantly for the past several days.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@StevenCee

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What specific channel does this issue occur on? Have you already tried removing the channel, restarting the device, then adding the channel back again?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
me4
Streaming Star

OMG.  I know this is an older post, but I have been having this problem for about a month.  I tried everything, new cords, different hdmi's, updating router, wireless and wired connections, restarts, etc.  My Spectre TV is still under warranty and I was one day away from returning it for repairs.  I have a Roku Ultra and today I figured it out.  Go to: Settings, System, Advanced System Settings, Advanced Display Settings, Auto Adjust Display Refresh Rate.  Turn this OFF.  I also turned the MEMC ON on the TV settings, which seemed to help even more (don't know if all TV's have that setting).  It's working great now, except for the streaming channel section, which only half loads most of the time, and channels might take 2 or 3 tries to install, but I can live with that.  I live miles from somewhere and I'm lucky to have 12 mbps, so that might have something to do with it.  Anyway, hope this helps someone out there with the same problem.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

Hi, I did mention the channel, but that's no longer the issue. What is, are just weird random oddnesses, such as:

1. Channels showing only a gray screen, with audio working

2. Scrolling through the hundreds of channels, getting up in the 300s, only to have it flip right back to the original channel I started from!  Quite frustrating, as if having to manually scroll isn't bad enough.

3. I once saw the option to select favorite channels, and I began selecting them. However, since then, I've not seen any option to only view them, seems the only options are ALL, and only the streaming Roku stations, none with just favorites.

4. Why are the volumes on various channels so varied, some loud, others incapable of being very loud, which makes switching channels sometimes startling, other times requiring a big boost in volume.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

I'm on a TLC 55" Roku TV, and the issues above are driving me crazy! What is going on with all these weird & frustrating annoyances?  Pictures cutting out, requiring me to bounce back & forth between stations, until one time, it will finally show the picture, searching through hundreds of channels, only to have the **bleep** thing jump all the way back to the first station I was on, etc, etc. etc.

0 Kudos
me4
Streaming Star

Maybe it's the TV itself. I kept reading so many bad reviews about Roku TV's that I decided to buy something else when mine went berserk last October. Do you have an old Roku, like a 3 or Express or something? Try disconnecting the actual TV from wifi (or unplug the ethernet, whatever). Then plug in your old Roku and see how that works. I'm not 100% sure you can do this with a Roku TV, but if you can, it should be a good way to check things.  If all is well, you'll know there is something up with the TV. Maybe it just needs a reset (which you should probably try first). Good luck.

0 Kudos
StevenCee
Roku Guru

No, I've never had anything Roku before (and doubt I will in the future, at this rate), so I haven't any way to compare, unless I watch it on my computer instead, and see if it screws up as often.

But this is a basically new tv, and should work just fine. And I don't think the fact their remote control has no numbers on it, as well as having the mute button in the most ridiculous position possible (on the side, so it's challenging picking it up without muting the sound!), helps.

It should not be doing this, when we go to a channel, we should not have to click back and forth as many as six times, just to get the video to work along with the audio!  What is going on with this?

0 Kudos
msemple
Reel Rookie

ROKU Express comes up.  When you select a program to watch, screen becomes black but audio works.  Googled the problem, and it said to do a factory reset of the ROKU. After that, it works until you turn off TV and back on again. Then same thing happens.  Any ideas?.