Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charvelx04
Reel Rookie

TV shows, episodes in succession...

Okay... Roku's options are all but nonexistent when it comes to how shows/ movies are played. A>Z, Z>A, default.. is about it.

Unfortunately, no matter how I label TV shows in their own folders, ie.. S1 E1, S1 E2, the Roku Media player will not play them in succession. Even with E1, E2, E3.. E100... it will not play them in succession. It plays them like this:
E1, E10, E11, E12, E100, E110... It doesn't go from E1, to E2, to E3... and no one wants to jump from the first episode of S1, to mid season 6, or 7. The player reads them as 1 being first, then looks for the next "1" in line, and that would be 10, then 11, then 12... but it will not go to episode 2, until 2 becomes the next one in line after the last "1", such as 199.

How do I label my shows, so that the Roku Media player will play them just like any other app plays shows in succession? I know most seasons of shows don't go beyond 22/24 episodes, and I could easily create tens of folders under each, and have their own folder per season, and label them A thru Z, but renaming hundreds of episodes just isn't in the cards.

What can I do? Is there another media player the Roku supports if Roku doesn't plan on addressing this really easily missed feature?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: TV shows, episodes in succession...

Add leading zeros, e.g., 001, 002, 003, 010, 011, 020, 100, 101.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Charvelx04 

Depends on how many shows/seasons you have.

I just add a single or double leading 0 (zero), in front of the Season number.

For my format, I create a folder for each Season. (ie. showname_Season001)

Inside this parent folder, the episodes are similarly formatted. (ie. showname_S01E01_episodetitle)

I drop the initial leading zero (001) inside the folder and use (01) but you can certainly keep the same format S001_E001 if easier to keep track of for you.  I drop the leading zero for clarity and because now in the folder, the E (episode number) will now determine listing order.

[The S above=season, E=episode]

Using the above format...

Season 1 = 001  

Season 10= 010

Season 11=011

Season 2 = 002

Season 20 = 020

Season 21 =021

...etc

-----

Hope that helps and isn't too confusing.

Click on images to enlarge.

Charvel_RMP1.png.Charvel_RMP2.png

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Charvelx04
Reel Rookie

The replies are most appreciated, thank you.

So..., let's go with my largest collection I have from BR disk.. and that's The Big Bang Theory, with 12 seasons and a total of 279 episodes.

1. Use separate folders for each season. > can do
2. Use leading zeros within each folder, so they look like what you posted. > can do

My example, should be, if I understand you correctly:
- Season S012_E001 thru Season S012_E024

Just to make sure I got what you were saying, this should play, if I chose Season 12's folder, it would start off with the first episode, and play sequentially thru the 24th? And should I just label them: S012_E001 thru S012_E024 and drop the word Season in front?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have 100 or more episodes, use as many zeros as necessary so they're ALL three digits long: 001, 010, 100, etc.

More than 9 but less than 100, use 2 digits: 01, 02, 10, 20, 99. Less than 10, 1 digit for all, 1 through 9. Season numbers and episode numbers can be different lengths.  

If a show is less than 10 seasons and episodes are 39 episodes for example, one directory is all that's needed for S1E01 through S9E39. If you want to just number them 1 through 351, use 001, 002, 351.

I prefer SxEyz. Or x-yz. You may prefer another way, just count like a machine if you want them played in order.

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Charvelx04 

Sounds like you got it and understanding correctly.  👍

---

As for dropping the word "Season" in front, that is where I place the Name of the Series/Show so I don't accidently overwrite anything and provides me a bit of description in the Roku Media Player.  Once you get a lot of files in place with just numbers in folders, can get a bit confusing.  You just have to come up with a naming scheme that works for you.

For me, each episode gets the Series Name_SeasonNumberEpisodeNumber_EpisodeTitle scheme.

In your above example for Big Bang Theory, it would look like this for me using your number scheme.

BigBang_S001E001 Pilot   (This would be in my BigBangTheory folder, with another season folder named BigBand_Season_001)

BigBangTheory -->BigBang_Season001-->BigBang S001E001 Pilot

BigBangTheory -->BigBang_Season001-->BigBang S001E017 The Tangerine Factor

[The above will list and play in chronological order from episodes 1-17 when you select the BigBangTheory/BigBang_Season001 folder.

Then when you get to Season 12, you should have 12 season folders in your BigBangTheory folder.

BigBang_Season001, BigBang_Season002, BigBang_Season003...BigBang_Season010, BigBang_Season011, BigBang_Season012

Inside BigBang_Season012 you should have 24 episodes.

BigBangTheory -->BigBang_Season012-->BigBang S012E001 The Conjugal Configuration

BigBangTheory -->BigBang_Season012-->BigBang S012E024 The Stockholm Syndrome

-----

You can add or eliminate underscores as you wish of course. S012E001 can be rewritten to S012_E001 if you want.  Can also do the same for the episode titles at the end.  The Roku Media Player will scroll titles so they will become visible if you give it a second when you highlight the episode in case your naming gets too long to see as a static entry.

I prefer seperate folders for each season, but you can certainly place all episodes into one folder as mentioned by @Anonymous and number them accordingly.

----

Feel free to post back if you need more help.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
Charvelx04
Reel Rookie

Thank you, AvsGunnar....

I appreciate the clarification to make sure I was on the right track... seeing as naming files in one library, just didn't work for Roku.

For Ex: my TBBT eps are all named: BBT S1 E1 thru BBT S12 E24. Keeping note that all PC media players play them in succession with standard naming formats like this, or say, S01E01 thru S12E24. Just irritating that the Roku media app misses out on the code support for the generally used way of naming TV shows.

But... this issue is resolved so I don't need to stand on the soap box, and I do appreciate you spending a few mins out of your day to help.