Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freeharwell
Binge Watcher

TV keeps exiting app and going back to home screen

For the past two days, when I stream within any app on my 50" TCL Roku TV, the app will abruptly stop and the TV will go back to the home screen. This happens after anywhere  between 30 minutes and 2 hours after streaming.  I've called my internet service provider, checked my internet connection, and restarted my router. I've also done a system reset and factory reset. Any insight as to what may be going on?

20 REPLIES 20
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: TV keeps exiting app and going back to home screen

Could it be the settings on your apps?  Some apps have a playback setting where you could stream the app for only certain minutes/hours before the device goes back to the home menu, so I’m pretty sure that is the issue here.  
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
freeharwell
Binge Watcher

@Michelle3 wrote:

Could it be the settings on your apps?  Some apps have a playback setting where you could stream the app for only certain minutes/hours before the device goes back to the home menu, so I’m pretty sure that is the issue here.  
~ Jordan

It isn't. I checked and the TV is set to stop streaming every 4 hours, not every 30 minutes to one hour. This also wouldn't explain while it bappens so sporadically (for example, it may stream for 1 hour then go back to the home screen, then for 30 minutes then exit, then for 2 hours and exit again).

DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@freeharwell 

Keep in mind that some apps to have their own "timeout" that is separate from the Roku device Bandwidth Saver setting. However, as these, at least the ones I've encountered, don't exit the app but simply stop streaming, I'm thinking this is not what's going on. But you'll see why I bring this up shortly.

It's probably the TV or the remote. But which? If you're up for an experiment, try this.

Pick an app you intend to watch (or can put up with watching) for up to four hours. A live streaming app, such as Pluto TV or one of the Live TV selections on Roku Channel would be good for this, but any live streaming service would suffice. And draw the curtains. I'll cover why shortly.

Start the stream, then take the batteries out of the remote. If it's the remote, the stream will continue until the Bandwidth Saver (or internal app timeout) stops the stream, and it will remain in the app for an additional hour to two hours afterwards. If it's the Roku TV device, then the issue will occur as it has been.

By the way, about the curtains? Remember I said it's either the Roku TV or the remote? Actually, there's one other thing it could be. Though rare, if you search the forums, you will see occasions where this appears to be the case. Some environmental factors can cause stray infrared signals that can impact IR devices. Drawing the curtains would reduce the likelihood if a stray IR signal is coming from outside.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

freeharwell
Binge Watcher

@DBDukes wrote:

@freeharwell 

Keep in mind that some apps to have their own "timeout" that is separate from the Roku device Bandwidth Saver setting. However, as these, at least the ones I've encountered, don't exit the app but simply stop streaming, I'm thinking this is not what's going on. But you'll see why I bring this up shortly.

It's probably the TV or the remote. But which? If you're up for an experiment, try this.

Pick an app you intend to watch (or can put up with watching) for up to four hours. A live streaming app, such as Pluto TV or one of the Live TV selections on Roku Channel would be good for this, but any live streaming service would suffice. And draw the curtains. I'll cover why shortly.

Start the stream, then take the batteries out of the remote. If it's the remote, the stream will continue until the Bandwidth Saver (or internal app timeout) stops the stream, and it will remain in the app for an additional hour to two hours afterwards. If it's the Roku TV device, then the issue will occur as it has been.

By the way, about the curtains? Remember I said it's either the Roku TV or the remote? Actually, there's one other thing it could be. Though rare, if you search the forums, you will see occasions where this appears to be the case. Some environmental factors can cause stray infrared signals that can impact IR devices. Drawing the curtains would reduce the likelihood if a stray IR signal is coming from outside.

I streamed two different live streaming apps, (once with the remote's batteries removed and once with remote and batteries) and they played as normal. Other apps are still abruptly ending and going to the home screen. (I.E, Disney + will play for about 30 minutes then exit, then later for 15 minutes then exit.) I removed and reinstalled the problem apps and it still continues

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@freeharwell wrote:

I streamed two different live streaming apps, (once with the remote's batteries removed and once with remote and batteries) and they played as normal. Other apps are still abruptly ending and going to the home screen. (I.E, Disney + will play for about 30 minutes then exit, then later for 15 minutes then exit.) I removed and reinstalled the problem apps and it still continues

This is a little confusing. Are you saying that in all cases when the batteries are out of the remote, the issue goes away? Because that's what that first sentence seems to say. But your last sentence contradicts that. So, help me understand. What happens when the batteries are out of the remote? Does the issue ever appear when the batteries are out of the remote?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
freeharwell
Binge Watcher

@DBDukes No, I streamed two different live tv apps (Roku Live TV and Pluto), first one with batteries removed and second one with batteries in. Both worked fine, so it doesn't seem to be the remote. However, when I stream an app that isn't live, i.e. Disney+ or Netflix, the problem persists, even after removing and re-adding the app.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Well after you removed the app(s), you should have gone to Settings > System >  Power (if not applicable, skip to the next step) > System restart, then reinstalled them. It is 1, 2 and 3.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
freeharwell
Binge Watcher

@Michelle3 wrote:

Well after you removed the app(s), you should have gone to Settings > System >  Power (if not applicable, skip to the next step) > System restart, then reinstalled them. It is 1, 2 and 3.

~ Jordan

Right, called TCL support and they walked me through that, then we did a factory reset after that didn't work. Same issue. Pulling my hair out about this smh

0 Kudos
DBDukes

@freeharwell wrote:

... when I stream an app that isn't live, i.e. Disney+ or Netflix, the problem persists, even after removing and re-adding the app.

Just to verify that you didn't remove/re-add the app, but did remove/reboot/re-add the app, right? Because you have to do all three steps, and in that order.

Assuming you did all three steps in the correct order, then your issues is limited to on-demand content, not live streams. Maybe.

What you've described is with apps that do live streaming, and apps that do VOD, but I'm not seeing apps that do both in your testing.

With Roku Channel, which has both live and VOD, try live for a time, then VOD for a time.

I'm now trying to determine if it's a VOD playback issue, or certain apps issue.

DBDukes