Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLM47
Reel Rookie

Sound fluctuations where sound suddenly blasts up and is garbled

Someone from Roku was supposed to call yesterday. I have given them three dates, times, and phone number to call, and still no call. Sound blasting problem has been happening for months, and I am very disappointed.  We have seven Rokus and the problem happens on the three that we use the most.  They are high end Rokus.  Occasionally, the sound will completely drop off to nothing.  I have tried everything suggested by Roku through email several weeks ago with no success.  What now?

11 REPLIES 11
MDHawg

Re: Sound fluctuations where sound suddenly blasts up and is garbled

same issue happening on 2 of my devices.  Both are Roku boxes.  Have 4 others that work with no issue.  Have a few of these devices also losing connection multiple times per day which is another issue that they have no solution for either. 

0 Kudos
jontalk
Roku Guru

Out of curiosity, what model Roku, what is it plugged into and what type of content are you experiencing this? If plugged via HDMI into a TV what is its age and type?  And if this is the case, do you experience this with cable channels too?  While Roku audio is far from perfect, this seems unusual to say the least. 

Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
Roku Ultra 4800R; LG OLED55B7A, ONKYO TX-NR636, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds. Motorola MB8600 modem. Asus RT-AX68U WiFi 6 router. Western Digital Power Line network adapters
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@DLM47 @MDHawg

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but we will need more details. Can you please provide us the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
Thegagline

I have the same issue.  The sound gets very loud and garbled without human imput.

model 4660X Roku Uktra

serial number YJ00E8511739

software version 11.5.0 build 4312-46

device ID CK392E511739

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Thegagline

Thanks for the post and providing us with your device information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
ldburgh46
Reel Rookie

I have been having the same sound fluctuation issues on all 4 Roku Express devices I use in my home.  Sending 2 examples from over the weekend.  The sound either blasts and cracks or other times it goes too low.  The only way to fix the sound issues are to back out of the program I'm watching and initiate it again.  This happens on everything I watch - Xfinity, Apple TV, Netflix and it happens randomly but usually every 60-90 minutes, oftentimes more frequently but I can't pickup a pattern to when it occurs.  This has been going on for months!  Patience is wearing thin.

Issue report tracker info:  

#1:   Model:   3900RW-Roku Express, Serial #:  YG0029839402(C438D2839402). Software Version:  11.5.0*build 4312-51. Timestamp: 2023-02-06T14:56:00Z

#2:  Model:  3910RW-Roku Express+,  Serial #:  YG0013375058 (C53921375058). Software Version: 11.5.0*build 4312-51, Timestamp:  2023-02-05T23:58:57Z

0 Kudos
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Hi @ldburgh46

Thank you for the inquiry!

Have you tried removing the affected channels and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
ldburgh46
Reel Rookie

I deleted the xfinity channel as you suggested,   That did not solve the problem.

0 Kudos
newjakv

I've been having the same issue. Has anyone gotten answer on how to fix it?

0 Kudos