Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LotionBasket
Channel Surfer

Re: Sound drops when changing stations or apps

So today, I gave up and just using my smart tv function. I turned the Roku off and on multiple times. Unplugged it. Nothing works make the sound work inside of the apps. So now, it's useless and I have to use the apps on my smart tv which DO have sound. Please fix this. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@LotionBasket @Maddoxbev7 @OldManOnABike

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to investigate the issue further, but need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@OldManOnABike 

Try changing Settings/Audio/Digital output format = Passthrough and see if that improves (not eliminates) the dropouts/missing audio.

Otherwise, you are correct - the missing audio/dropouts have been a longstanding (many years) problem all different models/SoCs and firmware versions; however, they ARE worse with newer RTD131x SoC-based models and newer RokuOS versions (somewhat opposite the HDCP issues, which have improved with newer RTD131x SoC-based models and firmware versions, though of course still significantly remain), and especially worse with models that include Dolby decoders (4800/4802).

As per usual Roku software engineering incompetence, they are simply and utterly incapable of addressing the issue in any substantial way (they lack the requisite skills/knowledge/competence level), just as with other issues (e.g. HDCP errors).

0 Kudos
LotionBasket
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R see answers below

-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version - Model 4800X- Roku Ultra, Serial Number - X01000H4FM9K, Device ID - S02A2094FM9K, Software Version - 11.0.0 Build 4193-C2
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel -  Netflix Vs 5.2  Build 105096011, Hulu vs 6.63 Build 0, Vudu vs 1.0 Build 69, Movies Anywhere Vs 1.26 Build 250, Peacock Vs 3.9 Build 21, HBO Max Vs 52.40 Build 20, Plex vs 7.0 Build 16, Disney Plus Vs 1.25 Build 2022082900, Prime Video va14.0 Build 2022072121 the only app that I have NOT had the issue with so far is KTLA+ vs 1.3 build 1 - however, I only watch that sometimes in the morning so that may be why
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID) nothing happens when I do this. I've done it multiple times and fast, slow, etc....it just goes to the home screen. I have a video of me doing it and nothing happening other than it going to the home screen. any tips? I can keep trying but I did it like 7 times and the same thing, nothing. 
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing - seems at this point it's once I'm watching something and switch apps, or once the screensaver is on and then I go into something - which is still switching apps. also, commercials have made it drop and commercials are silent. typically, turning it off and on with the power button will reset it but at times, like with peacock, I had to unplug, replug, uninstall the app and reinstall the app. if I have it off for a while and turn it on, I can rapidly go through the apps and they all work. it's once it's been on for a while that seems to cause the issue. 
Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

0 Kudos
OldManOnABike
Reel Rookie

@UserOfStreamers 

Thanks for the reply. I already had it set to Passthrough. That was the only way I could get any sound at all. I just find it strange that audio works for all the navigational screens (both Roku and within apps) and even for previews within apps have audio. The only time I am missing audio is when streaming and actual show or the associated ads. We have had various Roku devices on various TVs for many years with no problems. The TV with the Ultra has had a Roku 3 for over 5 years with no problem. (In fact, I just put the Roku3 back on so we could watch our shows. No problems.) Since Roku tech support is almost nonexistent, I think I'm just going to send the Ultra back for a refund. Sad! I used to love Roku.

0 Kudos
LotionBasket
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R as mentioned by someone else, i forgot to say, the previews have sound, the homescreen has sound, everything has sound until you try to actually watch something inside of the app and that's when it stops. 

0 Kudos
LotionBasket
Channel Surfer

@UserOfStreamers thanks for the suggestion. i will try that. as @OldManOnABike mentioned, i've had multiple roku devices over the years from the boxes, to sticks, to tvs and never had this issue. i've also had this ultra for maybe 2 years and this just started in the last month. i'll try the passthrough though because using the smart tv function is so painfully slow and turning it off and on only works sometimes with some apps. 

0 Kudos
LotionBasket
Channel Surfer

@UserOfStreamers i was actually considering just switching to chromecast since multiple people have already given all of the requested information and if it isn't fixed soon. what are your thoughts on that? i'd hate to buy another device and switch if there are issues with that one too

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

@LotionBasket 

I highly recommend (and use myself) a multi-platform streaming strategy using at least 3 different platforms (e.g. Roku, Fire TV, Android TV, etc) and devices can be had from $20-150, depending on your needs/wants.

As for the $35-50 GCCWGTV:  its a capable device, though firmware updates are pretty rare and it does have its own peculiar issues and app/system limitations (e.g. DV playback is currently broken for HBO Max, and it currently has no framerate matching functionality, though that may change soon with and Android TV OS12 update).

You may also consider the $20 O4KSB (ONN (Walmart) 4K Streaming Box) - its a very capable cheap Android TV device with 4K/HDR support and a Dolby decoder for connection to legacy DD-only (no DD+ support) AVRs/SBs.

Ultimately you dont "switch" in any permanent way - you simply use the device that has the app with the best (or currently working) experience/AV quality - and you'll likely switch frequently, considering that firmware/app updates frequently break /change something in a way you dont like/prefer on one platform, while remaining functional/better on another platform.

0 Kudos

I just started having this problem this week. I tried to reset my TV settings. That did not work. I did make sure the HDMI CEC was turned on on my TV. So what I did then, after much frustration, is as follows to get my sound to work with my soundbar from my Roku Express and regular TV. 

On my Roku: Settings > Audio > Digital output format > Custom > Dolby or Dolby Digital Plus

I hope this helps!

0 Kudos