Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chroma601
Binge Watcher

Sony Bravia X800h not doing HDR with Roku Ultra LT (but did with old Premier)

Jump to solution

My Roku Premier was due for an upgrade. It passed HDR flawlessly at 60fps and was astonishing to behold. But it wouldn't do Dolby Vision because Premier didn't. 

So I got the Ultra LT and used the same input. Dolby Vision shows up fine, but Ultra says that the TV Premier was delivering fine HDR10 to wouldn't accept HDR.

I figured perhaps it was the Yamaha AVR so I switched the HDMI coming from the Ultra LT from the receiver to every HDMI input on the TV itself. Still, no HDR.

The only other thing I am noticing is that it now looks like all content is HDR, with popping brightness. Colors seem natural. HDR movies play watchably, though some 4K looks a little stutters. The Bravia Picture settings indicate Dolby Vision is  always on. (I can choose Bright, Dark, or Vivid, but not Off).

My library is filled with HDR titles. Wondering if I need to replace them with DV versions. Or perhaps the included HDMI cable isn't up to the task.

Suggestions appreciated! Should I drop the Ultra LT and get the Streaming Stick 4K+ instead?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Sony Bravia X800h not doing HDR with Roku Ultra LT (but did with old Premier)

Jump to solution

@chroma601 

FTR, an old Premiere (HDR10/HLG) and a new Ultra (DV/HDR10/HDR10+/HLG) do not have the same SoC or capabilities, and therefore do not have the same HDMI setting/speed requirements (DV60FPS especially requires "Enhanced" mode).

Changing the TV/AVR port mode to "Enhanced" is the key change, along with disabling "HDR always on" in the Roku.

You can also test "HDR subsampling" at 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0 for the Roku to see if that makes a difference with your TV/settings.

There are additional HDR settings for your Sony Tv as well, you may have to test them to see what works best.

Beyond that its a matter of tweaking the picture modes for the input/mode (SDR/HDR/DV all may/do have different user-configurable picture modes per HDMI port, depending on TV brand/model) so that color presentation/etc suits your needs/wants.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Re: Sony Bravia X800h not doing HDR with Roku Ultra LT (but did with old Premier)

Jump to solution

@chroma601 

There is some confusion in your post - DV is a form of HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG/HLG10, HDR10+), so when you are using the term HDR you most likely mean HDR10 (which you also used) in your post.

The main problem is that you have HDR always on enabled (its enabled by default in the 480x/394x/382x models, so when DV is detected/configured DV is always on) - disable it:

Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Advanced display settings/HDR always on = off

That should address the HDR-related issues mentioned in your post.

0 Kudos
chroma601
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

It's actually worse after that!  Everything looked like HDR before, very bright.  Now I'm realizing I can't get any 4K HDR from my Ultra LT.  The Display check says no HDR at all, but I could get Dolby Vision only at 1080p. 

This isn't making sense as the Premier delivered 4K HDR to the TV's same input with no change to any settings.  I just swapped out the units.

Workaround now is to leave it in HDR on all the time and use DolbyVision Dark mode when watching SDR, Bright mode with HDR. But it's apparently not outputting any 4K HDR as 4K.

If I can't figure this out I may put the Premier back.

0 Kudos
chroma601
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Progress of a sort.  I went back to the TV menu system and changed the HDMI input to Enhanced, and now the Ultra LT says the TV takes all types of HDR up to 4K 60fps DolbyVision.  This is odd, as the Premier worked fine with this same input.

There's still some issues.  SDR programs now have too much brightness and color.  Switching the TV's HDR from Auto to Off is a workaround for now. And when I play a DolbyVision movie, the colors are all wrong as if the set doesn't recognize it's DV.

Still need help!

0 Kudos
UserOfStreamers
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

@chroma601 

FTR, an old Premiere (HDR10/HLG) and a new Ultra (DV/HDR10/HDR10+/HLG) do not have the same SoC or capabilities, and therefore do not have the same HDMI setting/speed requirements (DV60FPS especially requires "Enhanced" mode).

Changing the TV/AVR port mode to "Enhanced" is the key change, along with disabling "HDR always on" in the Roku.

You can also test "HDR subsampling" at 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0 for the Roku to see if that makes a difference with your TV/settings.

There are additional HDR settings for your Sony Tv as well, you may have to test them to see what works best.

Beyond that its a matter of tweaking the picture modes for the input/mode (SDR/HDR/DV all may/do have different user-configurable picture modes per HDMI port, depending on TV brand/model) so that color presentation/etc suits your needs/wants.

chroma601
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Down to one issue likely not Roku's. My Plex client is not recognizing Dolby Vision. I will be posting in the Plex forums later.

After finding the enhanced HDMI switch, don't forget to set not only the Roku input to enhanced, but the eARC port as well. That will provide the proper surround sound to your AVR.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos