Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hal1
Streaming Star

Re: Sling OTA Channels Now Freeze Screen With Roku Express

Jump to solution

I'm looking at streaming players on the Roku site and it appears that I can buy the Streaming Stick+ and get the dual bandwidth MIMO (my router has MIMO capability) as well as the stick being more responsive to WiFi than the standard streaming player, which can't hurt.  I note that this is also back compatible for my 1080p's.  Thanks for all your help, DBDukes.  I greatly appreciate your attentiveness to my problem.  If you think of anything else, please let me know.  And, I'll certainly be back if these don't solve my problem! Best, Hal1

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Hal1 

A 4K device will work with a 1080p TV. Or with a 720p TV.

Go to Settings > Display type

See all the different settings available? That's what the device supports. Notice your Express will have a 720p setting (the current is probably Auto Detect). That should indicate to you that Roku devices will handle lower resolution. You don't need to try to match it up. The maximum resolution of the Roku device is just that: the maximum. The 4K devices will have several different settings you can manually pick, but Auto will usually pick the one that best matches your TV.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
Hal1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks, DBDukes.  I thought you would like to know that I had the Model 3900-RW on the lesser used tv downstairs because the white compartment of that streaming player stood out a bit on our darker counters under our upstairs tv's, however, now that I have brought it upstairs to one of our tv's up here to watch the Superbowl, I see that it performs so much better in every way than the 3930's ever performed - even before the OTA channel breakdown.  It seems to get better internet receptivity even though nothing should have been lacking this with my strong internet.  Very puzzling, but I, again, greatly appreciate your help and I will let you and the community know how my new Streaming Stick+'s work when I replace the poorly functioning 3930's.  I'll keep my 3900 and move it back downstairs when I receive the new product because it works just fine.  Thanks again, Hal1

0 Kudos
Hal1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

...and I did get both 3930's at the same time, which makes me wonder if they were a bit defective from the very beginning.

0 Kudos
Hal1
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

DBDukes - my problem is solved and thanks for your working with me and your suggestion to get a higher level streaming device if I replaced the basic Expresses.  I got a couple of the Streaming Stick+'s and all 3 of my tv's work fine now.  Originally, I bought 3 Roku Express Model 3930's at the same time.  Now I recall that one didn't work right out of the box and it was replaced with a 3900.  The two remaining 3930's never worked as well as the 3900 replacement device, but I wasn't totally conscious of this because the 3900 was on a downstairs tv we didn't use much.  It was only when I started experimenting by moving around the 3900 and the 3930 to establish some controls that I learned this for sure.  The 3930's always had some buffering which I thought was an antenna problem and lived with it.  Then, the two remaining 3930's not originally returned as defective, about the same time, started freeze framing or reverting to the Sling home page after about 5 minutes.  Well, who would have guessed?  This was such a coincidence.  Anyway, I can happily watch my OTA channels without problems now and the Streaming Stick+ has a better streaming player and the remote is more capable as you advised.  I will now figure out how to note solution achieved!  Thanks again, Hal

0 Kudos
Jaktn3

Jump to solution

I have the same exact problem! Roku wants to point the finger at Sling ….   Only experience this with the 3930rw express devices. We was able to finally get Roku to say they would Replace the Devices with New ones (more 3930rw’s mind you) and I have to pay for shipping to send them to them and then they will send out new ones on 5-7 business days. ( which translates into not being able to use 3 of my tvs for about a month ) NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!!!!! DO NOT PURCHASE A ROKU EXPRESS 3930RW!!!!!!!

0 Kudos