Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
opgrant
Reel Rookie

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

Unfortunate for me that it is not just happening on the Roku channel, but on multiple channels.  They will start fixing the problem as soon as they realize that there is a real cost of poor quality.  When People quit purchasing their products, they will have to decide to become proactive on these problems.

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

@opgrant  Either that is an issue with your router/modem, or you probably have a defective Roku device.  You could contact the Roku Customer Support here.  I have the Express+ 3910 and the last time I used it, it was working great.

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
opgrant
Reel Rookie

I see we are on stage 2.

Six Stages of Debugging

1. That can’t happen.

2. That doesn’t happen on my machine.

3. That shouldn’t happen.

4. Why does that happen?

5. Oh, I see.

6. How did that ever work?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

@capirani wrote:

I am unable to remove the channel.  As per the normal way of removing channels with the menu, on this one channel, it does not offer the option to remove channel.  So if I could, I would have done that already.

What channel is it? 

When you highlight the channel in the Roku home screen channel grid and press the * key on your Roku remote, if you see a "Manage subscription" option instead of a "Remove channel" option, that indicates that you have a subscription to this channel through Roku.  Roku will not let you remove the channel without first canceling your subscription.  This is to keep you from continuing to get recurring charges for a channel you no longer have.

Go ahead and click the "Manage subscription" option and cancel the subscription.  (It will continue to run for the rest of the prepaid subscription period, but will not auto-renew at that point. You can resubscribe then if you like.)  This will restore the "Remove channel" option so you can now Remove / RESTART the Roku / Reinstall.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
LindaG1
Channel Surfer

You can now also add Kohls commercials to the freeze makers!! 

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@LindaG1 wrote:

You can now also add Kohls commercials to the freeze makers!! 

What “freeze makers”? Kohl’s commercials on the freeze makers?  Never heard this before, is this like a new thing or something in the ad industry?

~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
LindaG1
Channel Surfer

@Michelle3 if you've been following this thread, the some commercials on the Roku channel cause the picture to freeze and only the audio continues. You have to back out of the program and then resume the show. But doing so resets the commercial break back to the full 1.5 minutes of commercials and the CC is completely screwed up, if you're using that. 

ChrissyMarie
Binge Watcher

@LindaG1 

Its very annoying that it’s freezing but all we can do is report it then wait to see if they will eventually come out with a fix. 

0 Kudos
TechNan
Reel Rookie

I am having the same issue (as well as the issue of recurring HDCP error 020).  It does not just happen on one channel.  I am dismayed to hear that users have also had this issue with the Roku express which I also own.  I bought the only model of Roku that Best Buy had in stock and cannot return it as I am past the allowed return date.  I cannot get this issue addressed on Roku Support or calling customer service was only given a recording saying that the call may or may not be returned!  Roku Express 4K +

0 Kudos
kruzman

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio.

Having the same issue.  Only the Roku channel on the Roku device is effected.  when the last commercial finishes it leaves its last video frame on the screen and only the audio for the show starts back up.  pausing, then rewinding a few seconds, then hitting play temporarily resolves the problem.  seems to happen on random commercials.

0 Kudos