Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PTG
Channel Surfer

Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

When I try to watch a show (Not live) but a previous episode I chose from browsing, the show will play until the first ads.  Then the picture will freeze on the last ad and then I can hear the TV show that I was watching audios.  I am using Express.  I tried it on another TV and it did the same thing.  We have two streaming sticks and we don't have any issues with watching previous episodes.  So that tells me it's the Express, not my TV.

Has anyone else had this issue?  I tried deleting the channel and re-adding it, but that didn't work.

Of course due to "covid" there's no phone support and I can't even email them my issue and I haven't seen it anywhere else.  This is total BS.  If I had known that I never would've went with Roku.

9 REPLIES 9
Agg

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

I am having the same issue on Hulu and can’t get an answer.

PTG
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen freezes on ad picture and then I hear the show's audio. Using Express.

I thought it was Hulu at first too, but I really think it is the Roku device.  The two TVs that have a streaming stick have no problems.  I took the Express off the TV I was having problems with and plugged it into a TV the wasn't having issues (one of the TVs that had a streaming stick).  The problem was replicated on this TV also.  When I took the Express off and put the streaming stick on, there was no problem.  That is why I think it's the Roku device and not Hulu.  Hope that makes sense.

makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I think this happens when the commercials shown are at a different resolution and/or frame rate than the program they are inserted into.  Each time there is such a change, the combined Roku/TV system must reset itself for the new resolution/framerate combination. Returning from the commercials seems to be where this glitch occurs. 

Although lots of reports were coming in I had never seen it on the Streaming Stick Plus I use most often, but then one evening a week or so ago, I started seeing it on Hulu.  This only lasted one evening for me, though, and then stopped, which made me think someone at either Hulu or Roku was working on the problem -- since my Roku had not received a software update, I figured it must be Hulu.

At any rate, when I'd lose the picture, pressing the arrow button to back up the program a bit seemed to get me my picture back.

From reports here, it seems Hulu and Youtube seem to be the most susceptible channels to this occurring.  It might help to re-install the channel(s) giving you problems to be sure you have their latest versions via this procedure:

1. Highlight channel on home screen.

2. Press * key and choose Remove channel option.

3. IMPORTANT- DON'T SKIP:
From home screen, Settings > System > System restart. This assures no remnant of the old installation remains in the Roku's memory. It may or may not make a difference, depending on what's causing your problem, but it's worth doing.

4. Reinstall the channel.

5. If channel requires a login, you may need to log in anew.

Note that the channel will be added back in at the bottom of your home page channel grid.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
PTG
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your response and explanation for a possible reason why it happens.  I did try what you said to do, but still no luck.  I did find that when the screen freezes on the last ad, I can hit the right arrow and the show continues even though I miss a few seconds of the show, but at least I can watch the show.  Not sure why I didn't think to try this before. It would've saved me a lot of aggravation.

Again, thank you.

AjayS

I think there is a software defect.  I've seen this on youtube hulu and netflix and on two different roku3 devices at different homes.  They seem to have pushed a buggy update

I have Philo and it is now also having these problems on my Roku.  From research, Roku and apps were working on a fix starting in 2019.  I’m wondering if Roku will be releasing a fix soon since appears that it is a wide spread issue.

0 Kudos
Ronnkris

This just happened to us with YouTubeTV but only on one ROKU device.  I followed your instructions and reset and so far so good.  Thank you for sharing.

0 Kudos
JustMe7

Mine too. Unable to get help from Roku for my Express 4K.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JustMe7,

Welcome to the Roku Community!

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue but will need more details. Can you please provide us with the following information:

• Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
  • does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found by selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
  • tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times, and provide us with this ID)
  • steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos