Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gimmick51
Channel Surfer

Screen Saver Ends Media Player Playback

Jump to solution

I am using Roku Express + attached to a 19-year-old Mitsubishi projection TV.  Roku Media Player is using my DLNA library from multiple laptop sources.  Until a week ago, it has been working great while screen-saver was working.  Now, when screen-saver is used, Media Player will play two songs and then stop.  What has changed?  I have tried resetting the system, removing and restoring Media Player, tweaking the Player settings, nothing seems to work.  What should I do?  Gimmick51

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gimmick51
Channel Surfer

Re: Screen Saver Ends Media Player Playback

Jump to solution

Hello Ponderosa321, I appreciate your verification of my post and simply want to reply by saying that I still play the Media Player.  However, I keep screensaver off and make sure to play in shuffle mode to avoid the same "album jacket" from being displayed.  When I want to pause the music, I press the pause button and, when I am away from the set for awhile, I do turn on the screen saver from that position in Media Player.  That's all you and I can do.  Best of luck to you.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Gimmick51
Channel Surfer

Addendum to initial post: Screen Saver Ends Media Player Playback

Jump to solution

Congratulations, Roku, you did it again:  Latest update to software is now 9.4.0, build 4188-AE.  As it did to Roku Express+ 2017 model, it now does to the 2019 model:  After 2 songs played while screen saver is on, the player stops playing.  Why did you do this!  What are trying to accomplish?  Shame on you!  Does anyone know of a fix for this newly created problem from Roku?  Thank you.

dmrzzz

Jump to solution

Same problem with 9.4.0 build 4190-51 on Roku Express 3900X: using Roku Media Player to play DLNA audio works just fine if I disable screensaver, but stops after a handful of tracks if I leave screensaver on.  This wasn't a problem until very recently.  Please fix the screensaver!

atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

The developer hasn't posted a new RMP beta for a month. I don't know if someone is sick, or if they ran into other issues. We used to see new betas every week or two, but there hasn't been any updates recently. Hopefully there's an update coming soon. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
ponderosa321
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Same issue for me: Roku Media player will not play Playlists with the screensaver enabled. Playback freezes after one or two tracks.

My Roku device is now a BRICK because I only use it to play music and I won't damage my TV screen with static images.

I'm very disappointed that this issue has not been addressed for such a long time. I'll have to find a more reliable product to play my music collection.

Gimmick51
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Hello Ponderosa321, I appreciate your verification of my post and simply want to reply by saying that I still play the Media Player.  However, I keep screensaver off and make sure to play in shuffle mode to avoid the same "album jacket" from being displayed.  When I want to pause the music, I press the pause button and, when I am away from the set for awhile, I do turn on the screen saver from that position in Media Player.  That's all you and I can do.  Best of luck to you.  

0 Kudos
Sid_Dithers
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Why is this listed as "solved"? It seems that all you've done is avoid the problem. Or am I missing something? 

Otherwise, I too have this problem and am currently avoiding it by simply not using the screensaver. I wish I could somehow turn the screen off while music plays or run the screensaver; but so far, I cannot. 

ponderosa321
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The Roku Media Player screen does display persistent elements that can cause permanent image retention on some TV screens (particularly OLEDs). This is a serious problem.

The media player performed correctly in earlier releases, so this is a bug created in the latest release. Customers should not be left scrambling for a work-around.

I just want to load a big playlist, turn on the screensaver and play music for hours without risk. This is a pretty fundamental feature for any media player.

My expectation from Roku is to acknowledge this bug to customers and start working on a fix for the next release. I'm disappointed this has not occurred yet.

Gimmick51
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is NOT solved.  The only way that will happen is if this communication becomes noticed by Roku, which I very much doubt.  I don't intend to pay my way into their attention.  As a result, I do not use the Media Player very much.  

pctyson
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have screen saver turned off but it still stops randomly when playing mp3 files. I have also turned off the network bandsaver. Sometimes it plays for hours...other times it plays a few files in order in the folder and then stops. I need to check this out on my Roku Ultra in the living room and see if the problem occurs there as well but I am trying to play the mp3's in the bedroom as I go to sleep. The Roku built into the TCL TV was so terrible that I bought the Roku Stick and use that instead of the TCL built-in Roku. MANY other random lockup and restart issues have disappeared since using the stick instead of the TCL Roku except for this media player issue. Roku please fix this or I may have to move onto other TV devices!!!!!