Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jaredtodworkman
Reel Rookie

Roku restarting itself on certain videos

Jump to solution

I have a relatively new Streaming Stick 4k, and something happens consistently when I'm watching certain videos on YouTube: my Roku remote will stop working before the device completely restarts. 

This doesn't happen with my TCL Roku TV or the TV's basic software. It seems like a problem with certain channels: coilbook and Handyman Hal are the two that have been particularly bothering me (can you tell that I have a toddler?). 

Also, my remote will sometimes start cutting out at other times, and require a restart to begin working again, as well. The remote on my phone works all the time.  

I've tried replacing the remote twice, clearing the cache, and restarting the device will fix it until I start watching the videos in question again. I've also reset my Roku device and tried it with a blank slate. Also, I've tried it on a different TV and different HDMI ports, and it's plugged in to the wall with the provided hardware. Nothing helps.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku restarting itself on certain videos

Jump to solution

@jaredtodworkman 

I don't like to suggest this, but everything you've done indicates it's a bad Roku device. I'm thinking it could be something with the WiFi on that device. The Streaming Stick 4K has the special cable with the WiFi receiver built in. And if that's what is going bad, you can't get replacements on those right now. They've been out of stock for a bit, and rumors are that they may -- not will, but may -- be back in stock some time in April. I realize April's next week, but it's also five weeks from now.

At this point, if I was in that situation, I'd return it, using the quickest method available.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jaredtodworkman 

It's only on YouTube?

Are you a YouTube Premium subscriber? If not, then you get ads. Can you tell from the timeline/progress bar when ads are being played? Do the lockups coincide with ad time markers?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
jaredtodworkman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

No, the restarts are only on YouTube, but my remote goes out occasionally everywhere, and only a restart will fix it. 

And no, the lockup do not coincide with the ads. The ads are playing normally. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jaredtodworkman 

If you want to test to see if the remote itself might be an issue (either the cause of all the trouble, or simply an additional trouble), it will pair with your Roku TV. If this is behavior that happens a lot with the stick, then if the remote is at fault, it should still exhibit bad behavior.

Power down the stick, take the remote to the Roku TV, and pair the remote to the TV. If it exhibits issues, then the remote is at least part of the problem. If nothing goes wrong, then it's all stick at issue.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
jaredtodworkman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@DBDukes 

I tried it and there was no problem with the remote on the Roku TV. 

So what do I do now? Wait for someone official to respond to this post? Contact the warranty department? Go through Amazon (where I bought it)? 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jaredtodworkman

Is the YouTube app on each device the same version? Highlight app > Options * button

You can also force an app update from that same info menu, if they are different versions.

You said you did a factory reset. Doing it via the menu system (where you have to key in the four digits) is one way. Holding down the reset button for at least 30 seconds is another way. Holding it for less than 30 seconds may not fully work.

Since it's only on that one app (YouTube) it's very possible Roku will refer you to Google. However, perhaps @RokuDanny-R, @RokuKariza-D, or @RokuMary-F have something to try or ask.

If you're in an Amazon return window still, you may want to try that. If not, you would begin a warranty repair/replacement from the Roku Returns page.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
jaredtodworkman
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I tried to update YouTube, but it says that it's already fully updated. 

It's not just YouTube, though. It's on all the apps that occasionally my remote stops working. 

I factory reset the Roku with the four numbers option. Should I try the other way if that one works? 

I'd rather just fix it than replace it; that's why I came here. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@jaredtodworkman 

I don't like to suggest this, but everything you've done indicates it's a bad Roku device. I'm thinking it could be something with the WiFi on that device. The Streaming Stick 4K has the special cable with the WiFi receiver built in. And if that's what is going bad, you can't get replacements on those right now. They've been out of stock for a bit, and rumors are that they may -- not will, but may -- be back in stock some time in April. I realize April's next week, but it's also five weeks from now.

At this point, if I was in that situation, I'd return it, using the quickest method available.

DBDukes

0 Kudos