Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anthylorrel
Channel Surfer

Roku randomly losing wifi connection and low power message.

My roku has randomly been forgetting all internet networks until I reboot it. This will happen mid episode sometimes and it's really irritating. There is nothing wrong with my network, its only my roku device. When I try and re-setup the connection it tells me non can be found despite my wifi, and 2 neighbors wifis being detectable by my phone. When I reboot the device through the system menu, I get the low power message. I am using all the original cables and power plug and it is plugged in to an outlet. There should be no reason for low power. Please help.

11 REPLIES 11
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku randomly losing wifi connection and low power message.

@anthylorrel 

Try replacing the power adapter. (Use a USB cell phone charging adapter 5v, 1amp if you have a 2part power supply - cable and power adapter).

Likely addressing the low power issue will help with the network issue.

Feel free to provide an update.  Include Roku model number (Settings/System/About), your router model number, and ISP if still having network issues if you get power message resolved.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
anthylorrel
Channel Surfer

It js the roku model Roku Premiere (3920 series) . The router is an arris nvg468mq provides by Frontier. The other roku (rokue ultra) does not seem to have these same issues and is on the same network. Changing the power adapter did not fix the low power message. 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

@anthylorrel

Thanks for the response.

Please reply here with the device ID of your Roku Premiere. It can be found at the back or underneath the player itself. Once we have it, we'll be able to forward it to our team who will assist you further.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Penndragon13
Reel Rookie

I am having the same problem, low power warning even though I am using Roku supplied power adapter and cable. WiFi will drop while I'm watching programs, on Hulu, Netflix, YouTube, etc. And I have to reboot my system to reset wifi. 

Rku premier model ## 3921X

And SN JG2893263419

I'm honestly really displeased with Roku as a whole, and this makes me think about switching services if I have to buy a new device because this one is broken 

mjvr2c
Channel Surfer

Roku Customer Service SUCKS! The Online Chat GOOFS can not read/understand simple questions.

I have multiple Roku devices. My Streaming Stick 4K, powered through the USB port on my Smart TV.
It was working excellently since purchased.
Many months, maybe over a year? I don't know for sure. Long Time! Too long to make sense that now I am receiving a LOW POWER message.
WHY? WHY NOW after so long being fine?

The GOOF told me to plug it into a wall adapter instead.

**bleep**! I already knew that was an option. I want to know why the USB Option stopped working after working fine for so long ! GOOF couldn't wouldn't answer.

I tried twice to get them to call me. Twice they said they would, never have,

ROKU CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS!!!!!!!

AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@mjvr2c 

The simple answer is that power ports wear out.  Some are underpowered to begin with.  You can certainly check your USB power power reading with a spare USB cable, a pair of scissors, and a voltmeter/ohmmeter.

The Roku devices come equipped with either a 5volt, 1amp or 5volt 1.5 amp power adapter.  Reasonable to assume these are the required specs. (USB ports are typically 5volt).  Check your power port for readings at idle and then when connected to to the Streaming Stick streaming content (under load).

Not under load = cut USB cable, attach voltmeter to wires. red=power, black=ground.  Plug USB end into TV and take readings.

Under load = Cut USB cable, attach voltmeter in the middle of the connection. Use both sides of cable.   Plug USB end into TV, micro USB end into streaming device. Stream some content and see if power port is providing adequate power.

----

Or simply connect your Roku device to the wall power adapter as suggested and see if your issue is resolved.  If it is, reasonable to assume your power port is likely not delivering adequate power anymore.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Penndragon13
Reel Rookie

Ok, but what about my situation?! I'm using the Roku supplied power adapter and cable! But this is what I get! This "support" is a joke, I'm about to get a Google Chromecast 20220830_070133.jpg

mjvr2c
Channel Surfer

The situation would be so much better if you could talk to somebody who spent more time problem-solving and less time apologizing and if you could understand half of what they say!

0 Kudos
mjvr2c
Channel Surfer

Beware of customer support that does not post a customer support phone number!

0 Kudos