Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

Roku player turns on when Tv is turned on

Ok, this issue started yesterday. A week ago I had to revert to 10.5 because 11 was screwing things up; as of yesterday afternoon, I noticed, when I turn on my television with the tv remote, the Roku Express 4K+ player also turns itself on because the blue light turns on for a few minutes. it hadn't done that before. I have it connected to the tv with the hdmi cable so it's not plugged directly into the tv with the usb power cable. I researched and I turned off the one-touch option and my tv doesn't have CEC abilities so I'm stumped. I restarted the Roku player and still same issue.  

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku player turns on when Tv is turned on

It's not clear what the problem is.  Roku devices never turn off - if you have a power button on your Roku remote it's solely for the TV.  Is it just the light that's bothering you or is something else happening?  The light on the Roku going off is merely an indication that the screensaver has activated and/or it's gone into power saving mode (if the device supports it).

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

yea basically, in the past, if I turn the tv on with my tv remote control or the cable box remote, it just turns on my television; now, it also is turning on the roku player which it's never done before.  

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

In the past, Rokus never turned off.  Recently they added a low power mode and enabled that by default.  However, you might have lost it by downgrading the OS.  (I can’t remember exactly when they added the option.)

The light doesn’t really mean “power”.  For example, the light on mine won’t come on unless the TV is on and connected to that input.  (Which would explain why your light is off when the TV is off.)  I don’t pay much attention to it.

0 Kudos
MikeSW1974
Streaming Star

thank you very much for your help; ja I turned off the switch to shut the roku off after 20 minutes of inactivity because it was causing the hdcp error almost daily.  

0 Kudos