Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sixtieswerebest
Reel Rookie

Roku media player on the Ultra 2020

Are there any plans to update the RMP to support the use of .cue files with single file FLAC / Wav files, or allow it to play audio files gaplessly?

Listening to live albums or albums like Abbey Road or Dark Side of the Moon are particularly jarring to have them cut off in between tracks.

Also please support .mkv chapters. 

I use an external HDD with USB, I don't want to run a PC 24/7 as a server.

Please update the app, this is pretty common stuff.

5 REPLIES 5
Infotrack
Binge Watcher

Re: Roku media player on the Ultra 2020

The Roku Media Player is so out of date it is ridiculous.  The codex is extremely limited and the formats it will play are also extremely limited.  When I try to play something from a USB on the roku ultra and it won't play, I plug the USB into the USB port on my smart TV and it plays fine.  It is very irritating to keep having to do this.  It shouldn't be that hard for Roku to update the app.  It makes me wonder about continuing to use Roku.

ssvande
Reel Rookie

this day and age this should be seamless but i’ve yet to see roku make any updates in the last 4 years i’ve owned their products i wonder if they bought out or rights from a company that’s no longer in business with their media app. It’s just codex !! extremely frustrating as you state my **bleep** smart tv does this better 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

We don't know what has happened with RMP. The original developer retired from Roku, and since then there's been little support for any updates. It's been close to two years since there's been any updates to the video side, with all the more recent updates (which are still from a year ago) focused on music playback.

Roku has made many updates to their operating system over the years, and RMP is using the core OS for much of it's functionality. But I haven't gotten a response from the Roku developer in charge of RMP for over a year. I don't know what's going on with it. For video playback, you're better off using Plex or Emby, although neither of those support some of the needs I have for video. For me, I simply use the Nvidia Shield for that purpose.

If Roku desires to remain in the home theater streaming market, they really need to step up their game if they want to compete. But they seem content with only providing online streaming content, and appear to be ignoring the home streaming enthusiast. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Sixtieswerebest
Reel Rookie

I am using my nvidia shield pro a whole lot more. Running Kodi on it and it has all the functions that Roku should have.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, I use Kodi as well. But the Shield (even the "cheap" version) is significantly more expensive than even the most costly Roku player. I expect more from the Shield, and I still use the Roku for many of the online providers I watch. Roku needs a new premium player that can satisfy the home media streaming user, but I don't know if they'll ever do so. 

They need support for lossless audio bitstreaming, support for image based captions (which is what virtually every DVD and BD uses), a Gigabit Ethernet jack, and support for additional containers and codecs (such as the AVI container, VC-1 video, and the lossless audio codecs). RMP is a good starting point, but there must be a lot of changes to the UI and the background operations.  

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos