Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Roku keeps stopping

My Ruko device keeps kicking me out of my apps and bringing me back to my Home Screen. 
Model: 3930RW- Roku Express 

serial number: X004009JAUFH

softwear version: 9.4.0 build 4210-AE

deviceID: S013208JAUFH please please help

0 Kudos
BobS2
Binge Watcher

Try removing the power from your Roku Express (pull out the usb cable) and let it cool off overnight before the next time you want to use it.  If this reduces or eliminates the problem, then you may want to do what I did.  Purchased an "extension cord" with a remote control on/off switch and plug the power for the Roku into it.  Then you can turn the power off for the Roku when you are not using it.  Once I did this the problems I was having disappeared.  I believe that after some time (could be weeks or even months) the heat gradually builds up in the Roku Express to the point where it starts to affect the operation of the Roku Express.  By the way, the remote controlled power cord cost me $10 at Home Depot.

BobS

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Jlguillory94

Thanks for the post.

If you are still unable to resolve the issue after following the troubleshooting steps provided in this thread, can you please provide us with the following information:

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MommaWolf
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku keeps stopping on multiple channels

I have 3 Roku Express, I guess it's the low end, but we don't have smart tvs. What happens on every single device, all at random times, is, the screen freezes and jumps around, and then the Roku will restart, This has happened on ALL my TVs at different times. Another issue is I get a message that we can't play this channel randomly. It has happened on MSNBC and CBS so far. I click ok and it seems to come back, but it has been happening quite frequently. I don't understand why there is no tech support for these devices. Going thru the threads, it seems like it is sorely needed.

0 Kudos
BobS2
Binge Watcher

I have two Roku Express units and found that if they were kept powered on for a long time (could mean 1-3 months) they started to have strange behavior.  Since there is on power switch on the Roku Express I set up a different way of powering them on and off.  You could just plug it into a power strip and turn the power strip on and off when you want to use the Roku Express.  I found a power strip that has a few always on outlets and a few outlets that are only on when one of the always on outlets is being used.  So you just plug your TV into the control outlet and your Roku Express into one of the controlled outlets so the Roku will on be turned on when your TV is on.  Once it did this the weird behavior I was getting with the Roku Express disappeared.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@MommaWolf

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
MommaWolf
Channel Surfer

They are powered by the USB in the TV

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@MommaWolf, try using the supplied power adapters and not the TV's USB port.  Underpowered USB ports from TVs can cause all kinds of strange problems.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
ChezBuger
Reel Rookie

I'm having the issue with cutting out every three minutes of streaming, on every channel. 

-Roku device model 

3930X- Roku Express

-serial number 

X00400GUFAJ2

-device ID

S008301UFAJ2

-software OS/version

11.0.0 build 4193-AE

-does this issue occur on a specific channel? 

Every channel we have tried, including brand new ones that I was never planning to try, like the CW

-tracker ID when this issue occurs

ID J2-315-503

-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing

step one - choose a channel to stream

step two - select a show to stream

step three - watch for 3:00 minutes, then system returns to home screen

Device is powered by wall outlet, not a TV USB port, we have switched out the HDMI cables, factory reset the device and powered down the TV and rebooted it, and turn off the Roku manually when it is not in use.

0 Kudos
ChezBuger
Reel Rookie

Good morning. Still seeing the same issue with the Roku. We did a factory reset, and it still cuts off any channel after three minutes of streaming. Please advise

0 Kudos