Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Krystal1
Reel Rookie

Roku has burnt out TWO TVs

I have three different TVs all with their own Roku’s and as of today TWO of my televisions have burnt out and needed to be replaced because of the Roku devices. They are all properly placed on the TVs to make sure there is maximum ventilation so that they won’t over heat, yet they still heat up. And literally just last night my 55in Samsung TV bit the dust because of the Roku device. How do I know you ask? Because just last month it did it to my daughters tv in the exact same way. Roku you guys need to do better or put out a warning that people might have to replace their televisions because of the poor ventilation your devices have. 

9 REPLIES 9
andyross
Roku Guru

Re: Roku has burnt out TWO TVs

I don't see how the heat from a Roku would damage a TV. It would have to get so hot it would melt, and even then probably wouldn't damage it beyond some physical damage.

Just what happened to the TV's? What do you mean by 'burnt out'?

0 Kudos
Krystal1
Reel Rookie

Burnt out in the terms I am using it in means electrical. The Roku SHORTED out my TVs to a point that they no longer work. And yes to further answer any follow ups they did become extremely hot. Not hot enough to melt anything as you put it, but hot enough that they shorted out not one but two different televisions 

andyross
Roku Guru

Roku's can run warm, but not that hot. It's remotely possible the power supply is going bad and over-voltage.

What model Roku? Was it the same Roku or two different ones? Some models appear to use a standard USB Phone charger with micro-USB connector

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

@Krystal1 

What Roku model #s and firmware versions do you have?    Settings/System/About

From your description, it sounds like you have stick models.   If you plugged these into the USB ports of the TV to power them, its possible the increased load of constant USB power draw exceeded the capacity of a poorly designed TV motherboard.

(This is one of many reasons to use the supplied USB AC power adapter, and not the TV's USB ports)

Mwl67

I just had the same experience with my Roku stick that was connected to my USB port and a 65" Vizio that wasn't even 2 yrs old. I then went and bought a 70" Samsung and within a couple weeks the Samsung started acting up. So I disconnected the USB connection and just plugged it into an outlet and so far so good. 

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Mwl67, yep, most TV's USB ports can supply enough power.  One of my TV's clearly states "500mA output" next to the USB port which isn't enough.  You need at least 1A.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
chey9515

i have 2 tvs now that have messed up!! its my living room tv.. my first one a few months back now my new tv😑 can anyone help me on what i should do? i dont have Cable just wifi. this is what happens the picture slowly goes away, sound is still there. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@chey9515

Thanks for the post.

Can you please specify the issue you are experiencing? What are the steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing? What troubleshooting steps have you already taken to try to resolve the issue?

With more detailed information, we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

You know I thought it was just me! This just recently happened to me my tv wouldn’t stay on. It would power on turn off never a solid connection. So I bought another and wanted to watch something on the Roku and boom my new tv did same thing. Needless to say it didn’t harm my new tv.