Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RushingStreams
Channel Surfer

Re: Roku fast forward moves audio but not video on YouTube TV.

An update provided today, version 11.5.0 build 4235-CR, has fixed the problem. Let's hope it is permanent. Happy streaming.

0 Kudos
rodell20
Channel Surfer

no, version 11.5.0 build 4235-CR is the one I have (already reported) and it does not work. I've had that version for a little while now, so I assume that was the one that originally broke my box. I just checked and there is no newer version, and my box is still broken.

0 Kudos
stevefromdaburb
Reel Rookie

I'm so frustrated with this nonsense.  I too am going through this stuff.  I have this latest build and it may have been what made it stop working on Friday I think I noticed it.  Video just freezes, audio continues to play.  Issue first noticed on Philo app.  Then the 6ABC (Phil news) app.  And even Pluto, some channels just stopped and locked up.  Some stuff like Netflix or Youtube work fine.  NBC10 works fine.  And some, just lock video after a few seconds of playing "live".  

I had written to Philo tech support, who had heard this had been happening to others, but no solution.  In the end, it appears this is really a ROKU issue.  I noticed that ROKU has no agent support for the players, so they are throw away devices I guess, and if they break with an update, the community is your only option for support.  I don't know why I had so much faith in ROKU, I guess it was the many years of trouble free service, but I can see now, that has changed.

It's been since Friday.  Sometimes I'll get a few hours out of Philo, then have to do a factory restart, reactivate, etc. and it MIGHT work for a few hours, or maybe not.  I've done a restart, and that doesn't help. Sometimes it runs without either a factory restart or a reset/reboot.  

Not to do the boohoo hoo's but you know, I had a near fatal heart attack, recently found out I have leukemia, lost my wife of 30 years even more recently, am trying to work my full time job, and switched from FIOS to this to prevent having to pay so much money to the big V machine.  But you know, sometimes the frustration of this kind of thing, someone breaks something and doesn't fix it for however long, is just too much aggravation to deal with.  Like was said, we should get paid for troubleshooting issues.  It's like those that cause car accidents, those people who drive badly and cause accidents, should have to pay those inconvenienced by the results of their actions.  This is so ridiculous.  I've tried all three ROKU boxes, all have the same issues, and all have the same hardware and software builds.  

Roku, I'm putting you on notice that I'm going to leave this craziness behind if this isn't fixed.  There are other choices.  I'm sure others have already done so.  Your company cannot survive with this level of non-existent service.  Does ROKU care if I leave?  Probably not.  Will they care when enough leave?  Absolutely.  I still like the "no agent support" for Roku devices you buy at the store for $20-$60.  Buyer beware, right?  Community support only.  I wish I could do that at work, tell people to post their issues on the community support page and that is their only option.  Frankly, that alone has already started me looking for alternatives.  

Philo build 3.2.6
Model 3941x
Roku 11.5.0
Build 4235
0 Kudos
RushingStreams
Channel Surfer

Thanks for correcting me @rodell20. Indeed, all the channels were working properly for me immediately following the update from build 4225-CR to 4235-CR, but it was short lived. When I tried watching again after it had been off for a few hours, the problem has returned. 😩

Berda6616

I am experiencing all the same issues with my playback.  Audio streams correctly while then screen stays frozen at the previous screen. Super frustrating.  This issue has been going on now since Thursday night or Friday morning.   

After reading through all of the posts. I've come to a few conclusions.  One is that the tech support for ROKU is non existent.  Apparently our monthly fee must pay for a 14 year kid to post the same blanket response every so often because I was raised to always answer a person's question with an answer, whatever that answer might be(Good or Bad).  All the customer support team has done is to answer are questions with more questions.  Your still acting like you have no idea that this is happening.  I give them a pass for the first 24 hours but after that you should be sending out comments and posts that states "we're aware of the situation and are working with a Crack team to solve the problem".  This is really quite simple support staff, and it took me all of 5 seconds to write out.  You guys need to pick your game up your seriously lacking in professionalism and problem solving.  Work on these for us. 

As for this mornings update. I just ran it and it didn't change a thing. Problem still persists.  In today's world of advanced technology and advanced coders there no way that you guys haven't pin pointed what the issue is.  It's been 5 days, if not longer since the first issues started happening. Why isn't there a resolution for this already.  Will someone please explain. 

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

If you have not already, can you please provide us with the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
catterbu
Binge Watcher

Hi @RokuDanny-R . I appreciate your efforts, but you must understand that many of us have provided this information and not only has there been no fix for nearly a week, but we have not even received an update on the progress.

Would you at least let us know what you are doing to address this? An ETA on when the issue will be resolved, or something to indicate that when you forward our information on something is happening and it is not just going into a Roku Engineering Black Hole?

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@catterbu

Thanks for the follow up.

Please be aware that if you have already provided the requested information, it has already been passed along to the appropriate Roku team for further investigation. At the current time, I have no updates to provide, but rest assured once more information is available, I'll be sure to update this Community thread.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in the meantime.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rodell20
Channel Surfer

@RokuDanny-R 

Thanks Danny. It would be helpful to know that you have passed along the info that this problem makes Roku non-usable. I don't know how many Roku users this affects, but I've got to assume it affects everyone who has updated, which I believe happens pretty-much automatically. So correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to have killed Roku for a substantial fraction of users. So, did you tell them that? If the answer is yes, then I'll be quiet and wait patiently (using my Google TV of course). Thanks.

jweer

Re: apps freezing if pause, rewind or ff . Live tv freezing

Same problem for me the last 5 days. On all channels. Audio continues, but screen freezes at the point you either paused, rewind, or ff from. Super annoying!