Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomSKP
Reel Rookie

Roku fast forward moves audio but not video on YouTube TV.

For the past week, when I record a sports event on YouTube TV, and while still recording try to go back and start the beginning. When I fast forward through a commercial the audio will move forward but the video remains Frozen. Doesn't have all the time but most of the time. Unpredictable. I've going through all online troubleshooting I have found including, checking for  updates, re-paring the control, removing the app YouTube TV and reinstalling, removing even the cache on Roku device with a series of keystrokes. Nothing  seems to solve it.....

I exchanged my Roku unit with my wife  on a different tv,, problem stays with my Roku, her's works fine.

123 REPLIES 123
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Roku fast forward moves audio but not video on YouTube TV.

Hi @TomSKP

Welcome to the Roku Community!

Does the issue only occur on YouTube TV or across other channels installed on your Roku device?

Have you tried removing the affected channel YouTube TV and then re-install again? If not, we suggest starting there. In some cases, removing the affected channel and then re-installing it may help. Restart your device before re-adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. We recommend doing this through the Settings menu by navigating to Settings > System > Power (If there is no Power submenu, proceed to the next step.) > System restart.

For detailed instructions, refer to this Support link for more information: How to resolve a channel playback issue | Official Roku Support.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

0 Kudos
rawracer77
Reel Rookie

This is happening on ALL channels, YouTube, Netflix, Jellyfin, etc. Since updating my 4k Express to 11.5.0.4225. 

I  updated an older 1080p Roku to 11.5.0.4225 and it is NOT exhibiting the issue. 

rawracer77
Reel Rookie

More diagnostic info. The audio forwards but not the video unless you stop and restart the stream. Then the video catches up.

TomSKP
Reel Rookie

It only occurs on YouTube TV, it appears on some programs that are in the process of recording, and some that are already recorded. Not predictable which shows sports for me it will affect. And later on that same show the fast forward video audio sync problem May disappear, and then return again for that show.

I have removed YouTube TV from Roku and reinstalled it. I have replaced my Roku battery, I have repared my remote with local on TV.

I have rebooted my roku, to the software, and by unplugging and replugging in. Re-initiated something updates all okay.

On my remote, I have cleared the cash. And by a series of keystrokes I read about, I believe I've cleared the cash on the Roku device itself.

This device and the one I bought from my wife, are no more than a couple months old. If I move my device to my wife TV the problem goes with it. So it is not dependent on TV.

This is very unpredictable and frustrating. I sure would appreciate your help.

Maybe the best thing would be if I exchange it for a new one.....

I'm at a loss

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@TomSKP @rawracer77

Thanks for the posts.

We would be more than happy to look further into this issue, but need more detailed information. Can you please provide us the following information:
-Roku device model, serial number, device ID, and software OS/version (these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-does this issue occur on a specific channel? if so, what channel and what version/build is the channel (this can be found be selecting the channel on the Home screen and pressing the * button)
-tracker ID when this issue occurs (when you see this issue occur, press the Home button 5 times, followed by the Back button 5 times and provide us with this ID)
-steps to reproduce the issue you are seeing 

Once we have this information, we will be able to investigate.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RushingStreams
Channel Surfer

I am having this issue since updating to 11.5 OS, about 2 weeks ago. Every time I press Fast-Forward or Rewind in the middle of a playing show/movie, I can see the progress bar jogging through the video, but when I press PLAY the screen freezes and only shows a still image of whatever was playing on the screen, while the audio and subtitles resume playing in the background in the new chosen position in the show. This forces me to exit (BACK button) and restart the show, which now properly resumes playing at the correct position I chose to play at.

These channels are affected: HBOMax (ver. 52.45 build 9), Disney+ (ver. 1.26 build 2022101900), SlingTV (ver. 8.47 build 4349), and Spectrum (Cable provider) App (ver 8.5 build 0).

These channels ARE NOT affected: Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and YouTube.

Roku device model: 3941X - Roku Express 4K

Serial Number: X01600414R5E

Device ID: S07P51414R5E

Software Version: 11.5.0 build 4225-CR

Tracker ID: 5E-428-738

catterbu
Binge Watcher

This is happening to me as well with the new update to Express 4k+ (same details as mentioned by other user above). List of apps NOT affected is smaller than those that are affected.

Netflix, YouTubeTV, CrunchyRoll, HiDive, HBO Max. Hulu and AppleTV+ are about the only ones that have NOT been affected, from what I have seen.

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@catterbu

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide the information that I have requested in my previous post?

With more detailed information, we will be able to investigate the issue further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@RushingStreams

Thanks for the post and providing us with the requested information.

I have passed along your concerns and details to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator