Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
seckert92
Channel Surfer

Roku express 4k+ will only power on if unplugged from outlet and replugged back in

Jump to solution

Roku express won't turn on, TV says no signal. The only way to get it to turn on again is to unplug it and replug it. Anything over 20 minutes of no use, and the Roku express will not turn on again. Even the Roku remote doesn't turn it on. It is plugged into the outlet. If I unplug and replug it, it will only work for about 20 minutes and then the same thing happens all over again. Can somebody please help me? Model: 3941X. SN: SO7P5148K7WN

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Roku express 4k+ will only power on if unplugged from outlet and replugged back in

Jump to solution

@seckert92 and @Thomywood 

Try navigating to Settings..System..Power and disabling the 20-min Power Saving feature.

This was newly instituted in 10.5 OS.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
Thomywood

Re: Roku express 4k+ will only power on if unplugged from outlet and replugged back in

Jump to solution

I have the same problem except it does stay on as long as I don't turn off the tv. Its plugged into a power strip.

0 Kudos
seckert92
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Yes sorry that is what I meant. Once the TV is off for 20 minutes or so, the Roku will not power on again unless unplugged and replugged

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Try navigating to Settings..System..Power and disabling the 20-min Power Saving feature.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

seckert92
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar wrote:

This worked for me. Thank you so much

Tigerfan52

Jump to solution

I was having the same problem after installing three new Express 4k+ devices.  I would note that pressing the reset button on the back also got it to power on.  Turning off the power saving does work but this is a bug that the next update should correct.

0 Kudos
RonPlano
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I turned off the power saving and wi-fi disconnect and neither helped.   Every morning have to unplug and replay 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @RonPlano

Thanks for the post.

Could you tell us how are you powering your Roku device? Is it connected to the USB port of the TV or to a wall outlet? In some cases, the USB power provided by the TV is not sufficient to power the device. Even though your Roku device may appear to be working, running with insufficient power can lead to instability, crashing, and other unpredictable behavior.

Using the included power cord and power adapter, we suggest plugging your Roku into a working power outlet in the wall. Powering it through a power outlet in the wall has the additional advantage that your Roku player will not need to power up every time you turn on your TV. This means your Roku player will be up and running faster than it would be connected to a TV.

Let us know how it goes!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
bflood603
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I have the same issue, setting the power save to not turn off after twenty minutes only keeps the roku powered for for a couple of hours. How can this be fixed? very frustrating

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hey @bflood603

I hope you're doing well.

Have you tried the suggestion I posted above? If not, we recommend giving it a shot then let us know if there's any difference after.

Keep us posted!

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos