Solving playback issues

Find troubleshooting tips and resources for Roku playback speed issues, HDCP messages, power issues, and more. Join the community discussion for assistance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tator
Reel Rookie

Re: Roku express 4K+ device is not turning on with the TV.

I have same issue on 1 of the 4 Express4k+ devices I purchased, and pressing the Home button on the remote does wake the device.  I've not yet tried turning off the "After 20 minutes feature" but will try it.  Does anybody know if turning off that "After 20 minutes feature" will shorten the life of the device?

0 Kudos
Onebadcookie
Reel Rookie

Thank you for your expertise! I was playing around with the settings prior to reading your post and did exactly what you suggested. Low and behold it works. The power button turns on the TV then I hit the OK button and the device wakes up and a screen saver(?) appears. Tap any other button on the remote and i'm at the Home screen. Glad it works otherwise it would have been returned. I put a ROKU Stick on my main TV and it was up and running without any issues. Wish ROKU would provide instructions about getting getting the Express in the Quick Start Guide that is provided with the unit, it would help customers from going nuts trying to figure it out!

0 Kudos
Tator
Reel Rookie

Just tried turning off the "After 20 minutes feature" that works just like the other 3 units that didn't have the problem, i.e. it now turns on with the tv without need to press any other buttons on the remote.  However, when disabling the "After 20 minutes feature," it gives a warning that this will use more power and asks if I really want to disable it.  Would it be better to leave this feature enabled and just press the Home button to wake the device, or does leaving the feature disabled not hurt anything? 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

For 10+ years no Roku device had this "feature".  My testing indicates the power saving is minimal at best as they don't use much power to start with.  It certainly seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Onebadcookie
Reel Rookie

That was my thought. I did change the setting and so far so good. Thanks.

0 Kudos

This worked! Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
Pelicann

I am ALSO having the same issue MANY of these posts  lists. I have DISABLED the auto

savings mode "after 20 minutes" it is to OFF now. I will see if that cures the no start issue.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Pelicann,

Thanks for reaching out to the Roku community!

I'd be happy to take a closer look to see how we can help. Can you please provide us with more specific information about the issue you are experiencing? Is there a light showing on your device? How are you powering the device? Is it plugged into the TV USB port, or is it plugged into the wall outlet with the provided cables? In addition, have you tried using another HDMI port on your TV as well as trying your device on another TV to see if you are seeing the same issue?

To help troubleshoot the issue further, follow this link: What to do if your Roku streaming player will not power on | Official Roku Support

Please keep us posted and we'll continue assisting you from there.

Best regards,
Mary

0 Kudos